Killifish...advice?

Shadow

Looking to add some Killifish possibly to my mother's newest addition to her office. A few cherry and blue dream shrimp, a couple of bristlenose in the tank right now. Fully cycled, 6.8-7.0 pH, 75 F temp. I read they prefer even softer water than that and lower temps...just curious the truth on that and any advice from experienced keepers. Thanks! 

• Love 2

I just snapped a photo of these Emerald Killifish. They're Fundulopanchax scheeli. Not annals, they can live for a few years. Max mum size is about the length of n adult finger. They're less boisterous than F. gardneri. They will spawn readily in yarn mops, or in think Java moss. I keep the in small tanks -- 5, or 10 gallons. The lid needs to be fairly tight because they can be jumpers. I've got two pairs of these for sale if you want. PM me...

IMG_4235.jpeg.046bcefcd90002b2b8454a92c3c82c11.jpeg

• 1 month later...
On 11/4/2023 at 12:58 AM, Schuyler said:

Did you end up getting any?

Most of the common killis you see available are pretty adaptable when it comes to pH

Depending on what you get and how much/often you feed them those shrimp may get picked off

I didn't. I went for Sunset Honey Gouramis and Beckiford Pencilfish. I might do a killifish tank on my rack I am building tho. So any tips on preferred set ups, etc, would be awesome. 

• Like 2

On 11/4/2023 at 5:21 AM, Shadow said:

I didn't. I went for Sunset Honey Gouramis and Beckiford Pencilfish. I might do a killifish tank on my rack I am building tho. So any tips on preferred set ups, etc, would be awesome. 

The species you'll most likely be able to find for annuals are Aphyosemion Australe, Aphyosemion Striatum, and Fundulopanchax Gardneri.

People who are really pushing to breed well do bare bottom tanks with spawning mops. But those three will also do ok and produce some fry if you do lots of bushy stem plants and floaters with long bushy roots.

They are a bit pickier about food but they'll eat flake or pellets if they're high in protein and fats. Live foods will really bring out their colors.

I've read online that pH impacts sex ratios but I haven't bred enough to see it myself. Soft acidic gets more females and harder water gets more males.

If you want to give annual killifish a shot I would recommend asking in a local club for a pair or eggs. Most of the females I've seen in stores are skinny and/or old.

• Like 1

On 11/4/2023 at 10:32 AM, Schuyler said:

The species you'll most likely be able to find for annuals are Aphyosemion Australe, Aphyosemion Striatum, and Fundulopanchax Gardneri.

People who are really pushing to breed well do bare bottom tanks with spawning mops. But those three will also do ok and produce some fry if you do lots of bushy stem plants and floaters with long bushy roots.

They are a bit pickier about food but they'll eat flake or pellets if they're high in protein and fats. Live foods will really bring out their colors.

I've read online that pH impacts sex ratios but I haven't bred enough to see it myself. Soft acidic gets more females and harder water gets more males.

If you want to give annual killifish a shot I would recommend asking in a local club for a pair or eggs. Most of the females I've seen in stores are skinny and/or old.

No local clubs here which is weird. Wish I knew more into the hobby on the Gulf Coast and I would start one myself. Hobbyist goals. 

• Like 1