Captive fahaka toxin

Shmeck5226

Hello all. I am considering buying a fahaka puffer and was wondering if anybody had any input on whether any special precautions should be taken when maintaining the tank? Im questioning in regards to the fact that puffers are able to produce tetrodotoxin. I’ve seen some conflicting answers on whether they’re able to produce it at all in captivity, whether you shouldn’t touch them since it can be in their skin, or that the only way to be exposed to it is by actually eating them. I have seen the video of Cory pretty much petting Murphy, so that lends some proof that nothing really special is needed, but I’m wondering if this is something that is a bit of a grey area or if no extra precautions are needed? I really like to get my hands wet and do what I need to in my tanks so if that’s something that’s harder to do with a puffer I’d like to know before getting one. 

Thank you for taking the time to read this, and for your responses!

• Like 1

I've been in the hobby for fifty-plus years, and I've never heard of anyone having an issue with a captive puffer.  Lots of people have gotten poked by a lionfish and lived to tell the tale. Lots more have been jabbed by the occasional cory catfish or clown loach.  I wouldn't recommend getting overly affectionate with a puffer, as in kissing it or spending hours holding one, but in "normal" tank use, I don't think there's an issue. I definitely wouldn't recommend eating one, but as a tank inhabitant, it should be fine.

• Like 1

Infections from spine jabs, but otherwise the poison is to prevent predators from eating them.

Same defenses with fish that I have worked with professionally. I wear gloves but it doesn’t always help. The jabs of venomous fish do sometimes feel like a hot nail, which fades into a numb/itchy burn. But noone I have worked with has ever been hospitalized from the venom.

Losing finger digits to nasty infections, yes. But that was improper wound care.

For tetrodotoxin ingestion of the animal is required for the poisoning. Tetrodotoxin is heat stable meaning cooking does not destroy it. Poisonings have occurred from kids pestering certain newt species touching their skin which they can exude the toxin from and eating something else. Without washing their hands. From what I have read most of these interactions did not prove fatal or result in permanent brain damage, some have died.

good read here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK507714/

Edited by Biotope Biologist
  • Like 1