Anubias Congensis

JoeQ

On 9/30/2023 at 5:26 AM, JoeQ said:

Anyone know if anubis congensis leaves will repair themselves?

No plant leaves can repair themselves from damage.  That’s just not how plants work.  They can seal up a cut edge sometimes but that’s about the extent of it.

What happened to the plant?  Do you have pics?  We might be able to tell you more if we knew what was going on.

• Like 1

On 9/30/2023 at 6:59 AM, Odd Duck said:

What happened to the plant?  Do you have pics?  We might be able to tell you more if we knew what was going on.

I got my bottles confused and had been under dosing for an unknown period of time (a week to 10 days).... There is not much damage besides yellow edges and small brown spots. I'll upload a picture when I get up and moving. 

On 9/30/2023 at 6:06 AM, JoeQ said:

I got my bottles confused and had been under dosing for an unknown period of time (a week to 10 days).... There is not much damage besides yellow edges and small brown spots. I'll upload a picture when I get up and moving. 

Brown spots definitely won’t improve and yellow edges probably won’t, either.  If you get crazy lucky, the yellow edges might improve color very slightly.  My 3 G shrimp tank has Anubias nana ‘Petite’ growing as fast as I’ve ever had Anubias grow but I must have a deficiency because my leaf color isn’t consistent.  I’ve supplementing more reliably lately.  None of the leaves have improved their color but the overall plant grows faster.  🤷🏻‍♀️ 

Here is the offending leaf, it's also a new plant grown in dirt.. The plant itself is growing with new leaves unfurrowing so I know it's happy. Maybe this was the result of going from a nutrient rich environment, to a nutrient lean environment?

20230930_075547.jpg

Edited by JoeQ
Spelling

Yep, could be.  That trace of yellowing might have an outside chance of improving.  You can always do a dose of ferts, leave it kinda of strong for 24 hours or so, then water change it out if you’re worried about algae.  I don’t know if you’ll see a difference in that time frame or not.  You should be able to repeat it a couple times a week with minimal risk for algae developing.

On 9/30/2023 at 11:12 AM, Odd Duck said:

Yep, could be.  That trace of yellowing might have an outside chance of improving.  You can always do a dose of ferts, leave it kinda of strong for 24 hours or so, then water change it out if you’re worried about algae.  I don’t know if you’ll see a difference in that time frame or not.  You should be able to repeat it a couple times a week with minimal risk for algae developing.

Algae is no concern to me, actually that yellowing is what tipped me off. Thats when I discovered I was only giving 1/2 of an EI dose 🤦. It hasn't progressed since, but was wondering if I should snip or leave, on account of how long Congensis leaves take to grow. 

On 9/30/2023 at 11:25 AM, Odd Duck said:

I’d try full dosing for a couple weeks and see what happens.  If it doesn’t improve, or it worsens, you can always snip later.  I’m not one that needs perfection in every leaf, so this wouldn’t bother me at all to just monitor.

It was more of a thought if anubis leaves recover considering the time they take to grow.  This is the first time I've been successful with Anubis (beretti and coffee) so figured doing more Anubis varietys would cut down on the trimming maintenance stems require.

Edited by JoeQ
  • Like 1