Keeping Rainbowfish not in groups

FrozenFins

1 hour ago, DenseMembrane said:

Rainbowfish are most comfortable in shoals of six or more generally of their own species; if they are intermixed each species should have it's own shoal. Certain species can interbreed with each other and form hybrids; this is not an infrequent occurrence.

I have one byhim self is that okay?

Look if it appears happy then it's Okay is it ideal or the best situation for it well not really. It would probably benefit from more of its own species. Doesn't mean it needs it to survive it could live a long content life on its own for sure. Just may be more comfortable and vibrant if it had more to shoal with.

8 hours ago, KoolFish97 said:

Look if it appears happy then it's Okay is it ideal or the best situation for it well not really. It would probably benefit from more of its own species. Doesn't mean it needs it to survive it could live a long content life on its own for sure. Just may be more comfortable and vibrant if it had more to shoal with.

Could I add a different species of rainbowfish, to keep him happy?

4 hours ago, James Black said:

Could I add a different species of rainbowfish, to keep him happy?

It's best to keep the same species together to prevent hybrids. Hybrids dilute bloodlines which is bad for the future of rainbowfish species. Try adding 5+ rainbowfish of the same species if you have room. Could you list your tank size, livestock, and filtration?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, DenseMembrane said:

It's best to keep the same species together to prevent hybrids. Hybrids dilute bloodlines which is bad for the future of rainbowfish species. Try adding 5+ rainbowfish of the same species if you have room. Could you list your tank size, livestock, and filtration?

its a 36 Gallon Aquarium

STOCKING:

Cardinal Tetras x10

Angelfish x2

Rainbowfish 

Guppies x2 (both males)

And then I have another angelfish, a swordtail and a bristlenose pleco in quarintine. 

I want to add a school of corydoras too

I'm using a sponge filter but will probably upgrade it either the tidal 35 or one of the aquaclear HOB.

I don't think I'll have enough space for 6 more rainbowfish

5 minutes ago, James Black said:

its a 36 Gallon Aquarium

STOCKING:

Cardinal Tetras x10

Angelfish x2

Rainbowfish 

Guppies x2 (both males)

And then I have another angelfish, a swordtail and a bristlenose pleco in quarintine. 

I want to add a school of corydoras too

I'm using a sponge filter but will probably upgrade it either the tidal 35 or one of the aquaclear HOB.

I don't think I'll have enough space for 6 more rainbowfish

Do you know what rainbowfish species you have? I would agree you should add on a HOB or another filter and that you likely don't have enough space to have a school.

12 minutes ago, James Black said:

Idk what kind of rainbowfish I have I'll send a picture 

IMG_20201108_121935_708.jpg

That's a Melanotaenia fluviatilis or duboulayi. I would look up pictures of both and ID your rainbowfish that way. Either way if it is doing well, feeding, swimming around, etc. it will do fine alone. If in the future you upgrade to a 55 gallon or larger I would recommend adding in 5 more (with 3 males and 3 females) for the most vibrant coloration and activity.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DenseMembrane said:

That's a Melanotaenia fluviatilis or duboulayi. I would look up pictures of both and ID your rainbowfish that way. Either way if it is doing well, feeding, swimming around, etc. it will do fine alone. If in the future you upgrade to a 55 gallon or larger I would recommend adding in 5 more (with 3 males and 3 females) for the most vibrant coloration and activity.

Really appreciate it thanks for your help!