Deeply Retraced Snail

Helena

Hello! I just came back from vacation and my sister did a water change a week ago but forgot to plug back in the filter. So there was no filter going for 6 days but I did have a bubbler. All my fish seem fine and accounted for but my mystery snail is deep retracted. She does not smell but I've never seen her this far into her shell. How do I tell if she's hibernating or dead? 

Water parameters:

nitrate: 40ppm

Nitrite: 0ppm

Ammonia: .25ppm

I did a 40% water change yesterday and plan to do another 40% today with a gravel vac but I don't want to crash my cycle. I added extra prime to detoxify the ammonia but I am not sure what else I can do.

PXL_20230910_155216170.jpg

If I gotta be honest, I have soo many mysteries but I havent seen any going this deep.

The shell dmg is already a sign of you are keeping them in a low ph environment as you can see the patches of shell erosion. The shell growth on the other hand looks to be thin to me. It does not look strong and healthy.

What do you feed your mystery snail? What's your gh, ph and kh? Temp?

Unfortunately she passed away. I am not sure what my gh and kh are but my ph is 7.2. When I do water changes I do 3 parts RO water and 2 parts tap. I fertilize my water every 3 days with easy green 3 pumps of easy green, two pumps of easy iron (both aquarium co-op), half a cap of seachem potassium, 1/3rd a cap of seachem phosphorus, and some prime when using tap water. For food I alternate between frozen bloodworms, frozen baby brine shrimp, hikari sinking wafers/algae wafers, viformo sinking tablets, and blanched zucchini. 

I have a 20 gallon with 6 panda cories, 5 zebra danios, 4 kuhli loaches, and 1 Columbian zebra pleco with a lot of red root floaters, Anubis, and Christmas tree moss. 

I have had my Mystery Snail for 9 months and it wasn't until before I went on vacation that she laid her first (and I guess last RIP) clutch so I thought she was doing good. In the future is there anything else I can do better to prevent this from happening? 

On 9/11/2023 at 3:03 AM, Lennie said:

If I gotta be honest, I have soo many mysteries but I havent seen any going this deep.

The shell dmg is already a sign of you are keeping them in a low ph environment as you can see the patches of shell erosion. The shell growth on the other hand looks to be thin to me. It does not look strong and healthy.

What do you feed your mystery snail? What's your gh, ph and kh? Temp?

On 9/13/2023 at 5:35 AM, Helena said:

Unfortunately she passed away. I am not sure what my gh and kh are but my ph is 7.2. When I do water changes I do 3 parts RO water and 2 parts tap. I fertilize my water every 3 days with easy green 3 pumps of easy green, two pumps of easy iron (both aquarium co-op), half a cap of seachem potassium, 1/3rd a cap of seachem phosphorus, and some prime when using tap water. For food I alternate between frozen bloodworms, frozen baby brine shrimp, hikari sinking wafers/algae wafers, viformo sinking tablets, and blanched zucchini. 

I have a 20 gallon with 6 panda cories, 5 zebra danios, 4 kuhli loaches, and 1 Columbian zebra pleco with a lot of red root floaters, Anubis, and Christmas tree moss. 

I have had my Mystery Snail for 9 months and it wasn't until before I went on vacation that she laid her first (and I guess last RIP) clutch so I thought she was doing good. In the future is there anything else I can do better to prevent this from happening? 

Sorry for your loss.

To explain your question, I can share Lav's video on them. It is very well explained and she basically mentions almost everything I would type here

Thank you for your help! I use 3 parts RO and 2 parts tap because that is what the fish store recommended since we do not have any added minerals to our RO unit. So the tap is used to balance it out. I'll buy a test kit and start narrowing down my kh and gh. I appreciate the advice