Airstones In HOB Filters... Good Idea? Experiences? Thoughts?

Was watching some earlier videos on customizing HOB filter media and saw where Cory mentioned putting an airstone in a hang on back filter to "super-charge" it. Has anybody done this and what were the results? Worth the effort? Does the extra air support more beneficial bacteria or is it mainly for introducing more air into the tank? Thanks.

• Like 1

@Fish Folk Yes, would definitely need to keep a tight lid on it... or perhaps it could be layered in the media? Either way, I'm not sure it is worth the effort to set up and keep clean/going. It might be best to stick to my original plan of air diffusers around the HOB outflow area to achieve similar results without the added effort. Thanks.

• Like 2

All depends on your goals, standards, etc. I build spraybars on a number of tanks for flow and O2. A powerhead with Venturi system is nice too. But if you’re going for subtlety, your plan is good. I’d just put the air stone at the bottom underneath the filter so air bubbles ip and flows forward. Might make noise as intake sucks air in, but otherwise OK.

• Like 1

I like to put mine right where the HOB flow comes out. Idk if it is a good idea but I like it this way. Like, in the water, right below the flow. Not inside or any part of the hob

Visually it does not look the nicest, but it prevents the annoying splash to a good extend, which I care about more

Edited by Lennie
  • Like 3