HELP WITH FX6 CANISTER FILTER

Elyse

Hey everyone, 

I've had my FX6 set up on my 75 gallon for about 2 years now. I clean it every three months but have not replaced any parts. For the last 2 months the flow has been getting slower and slower to the point where the water coming out of the output is barely anything compared to what is used to be. Should I spend the money on new parts for it or just scrap it for hang on back filters that are much easier to maintain? I didn't know how large of tanks people use hang on back filters for...

• Like 1

On 9/5/2023 at 10:25 PM, mynameisnobody said:

@Elyse Douglas it may be time for a new one, but I do know that they have pasted way longer than 2 years for most, it’s quite strange. 

Do you think it's worth paying the money to buy some parts and try to fix it or should I just go with a couple bigger HOB filters? Also, I eventually want to stock my 210 gallon aquarium with large south american cichlids and am trying to decide between several HOB filters or a canister filter. I will be honest I HATE doing maintenance on the canister filter but don't know if HOB filters can keep up with big messy fish like oscars. 

On 9/5/2023 at 11:46 PM, mynameisnobody said:

It’s all on what you prefer. Personally I prefer canisters and hang on backs on my larger aquariums. Have you cleaned all the hoses thoroughly? You could have some built up crud going on inside the fx6 tubing. 

i have not; i'll have to look up videos slash buy some tools to be able to do that

On 9/6/2023 at 12:17 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

The only thing that would be left is air stuck in there somewhere restricting flow, but that's generally easy to hear.

If all that is in check then you may need to replace the impeller or the pump.  I would go ahead and contact fluval.

I can hear water gurgling in the canister which I feel like i didn't used to be able to hear; don't know where air would be getting in though 

• Like 1