(re)-treat plants after use in quarantine tank

We will be breaking down an extra quarantine tank soon. We borrowed live plants (anacharis, rotala rotundifolia, hornwort) from our display tank, but now we want to put them back.

Should I worry about possible pathogens from quarantine on the plants? The tank hosted swordtails for 4 weeks. One passed away in the first week, but the remaining 4 appear healthy. I put them through a couple rounds of medicated food, plus ich-x, prazipro and fenbendazole in the water 

Will it make sense to treat the plants? If so, will alum, bleach or hydrogen peroxide work? How long to soak or dip?

Edited by HelplessNewbie
  • Like 2

I tend to use the QT method for plants as opposed to dipping them.  What I mean is, let's say the lifecycle of the parasite is ~4 weeks.  Any plant can generally handle a 7 day blackout without much issue.  A lot of your hardier plants can handle 14 days (anubias, ferns, etc.), but other plants won't be so forgiving. 

If you keep those plants in a tank without fish for X amount of time, it should resolve anything living on those plants that is parasitic.  The other method I use is just a lot of rinsing multiple times and trying to always clean the containers I'm using to hold them in.  When I get plants in I will thoroughly examine them and rinse them anywhere from 3-10+ times just to remove snails and duckweed and other issues.

If you're having a concern with snails, RR seems to be the best option.  Girl Talks Fish, Irene, has a ton of videos on plant dips and I think that's a great place to start.  I'll link the 2 more relevant ones on them here below for you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Since you introduced those plants from your healthy display tank and treated that tank with all those meds, I would agree with @nabokovfan87. You should be just fine as long as the plants still look healthy and there isn't a snail problem which developed while they were in the quarantine tank. The plants were treated to the same meds as the fish, so it is highly unlikely they could introduce anything back into the display tank that wasn't already there or that wouldn't also be on the new fish. Thanks.

• Like 1