29 gallon options

This is my 29 gallon tank. It needs things but idk what. Forgive my amazon sword for not being decent in the pic. She's currently giving birth to about a dozen babies. The light I have on it is aquaneat so its not high my any means but it works decently. 

1. Red - What would you put to fill this space. It used to have 2 different types of crypts but one got moved to a different tank. The other, a pink flamingo, got moved ever so slightly to the left and died. *sigh* crypts. I did get a tiger lotus lately (question about that further down) and might see if that works. Any other suggestions?

2. Yellow - ideas for this area? Or I could just plant more of the hygro that's to the right to fill in there. I used to have a "tree" there at one point. 

3. Blue - I'm thinking I wanna add something here to add texture or even color to contrast the hygro. The trouble is, my light isn't the best and most of the options I find require co2 or high light or both. 

4. I ordered a red tiger lotus a few weeks ago and actually received 2, possibly 3? This is one if them. I noticed the root are far above the bulb. In my past experience with tiger lotus the roots were much closer if not right on top of the bulb. Should I maybe cut the plant from the bulb, replant it and let the bulb grow a new plant?

5. This is the 2nd (and 3rd?) tiger lotus. It actually appears to be 2 bulbs connected. The top one has some rot. Should I disconnect them and throw away the one with rot?

20230831_202325.jpg

20230831_202325~2.jpg

20230831_202406.jpg

20230831_203252.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/31/2023 at 9:50 PM, Cinnebuns said:

3. Blue - I'm thinking I wanna add something here to add texture or even color to contrast the hygro.

Whether you want it in the front or the back of the aquarium, take the hygro you have and trim off 1/2 the length and replant those for more density. 

Adding something in the front / rear is achievable.  Even something like a pearlweed or microsword can be done without CO2.  pennywort, Hydrocotyle tripartita, or other hydrocotyle plants as well might be some options.

On 8/31/2023 at 9:50 PM, Cinnebuns said:

4. I ordered a red tiger lotus

I would think, but I am not sure, as these grow in the sword would be blocking them out more and more. 😞

You have the rocks there, So something like buce, anubias would do really well right there and work well underneath that sword (or near it).  As long as they fit with your water, anubias nangi, anubias nana petite, various buce plants, would be awesome.

• Like 1

On 9/1/2023 at 1:08 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Whether you want it in the front or the back of the aquarium, take the hygro you have and trim off 1/2 the length and replant those for more density. 

I do this already. I've thinned it in the past month for a few reasons. 1.  I was wanting to create a little more swim space and 2.  I needed some in other tanks. 

On 9/1/2023 at 1:08 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

would think, but I am not sure, as these grow in the sword would be blocking them out more and more. 😞

I planned to trim it to stay down and not allow it to grow up. 

• Like 1