Larry’s Head Injury

Zac

Hey all,

My opaline gourami Larry seems to have an injury on his head (see photos below)IMG_4374.png.c749df51c35e819d8d50bacea2fdb7a7.pngIMG_4378.jpeg.dd623a0cdd2d2f8c7e5e00629b206c9e.jpegIMG_4379.jpeg.75e16321c241a9babceb79d2c7c2e0d2.jpeg

Ammonia is 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate <40ppm

Ph 6.6

This seemed to have happened overnight. I’ve noticed it for a couple days now. It doesn’t seem to be HITH. It almost looks like a lump (rather than erosion) and my waters very clean. He’s all alone in the tank other than one guppy fry I couldn’t catch and a small Amano shrimp somewhere. My guess is maybe he scrapped his head trying to eat one of those tho guys.

He behaves very normal, eats great. I feed him omega 1 flakes, pellets, frozen brine shrimp, sometimes repashy, and once a week I give him some of a deshelled pea to prevent constipation. He’s very active and making bubble nests every night almost. He’s even started to make bubbles on the outer rims of the tank. He seems very healthy to me. 

So far if only added a double dose of API stress coat yesterday to help repair damaged tissue in case it is an injury. It doesn’t look infected or like HITH. I’d be surprised if it was because there’s no stress factors that I can think of in the tank or in the surrounding environment.

Any advice on what this could be or what should do would be appreciated 

Edited by Zac

Could be an injury or a growth if it's raised what I would do is add some Indian almond leaves as they have antibacterial and antifungal properties and a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 10 gallons that will add essential electrolytes and aid Gill function and I would monitor for the next week if he gets worse before then give us an update @Zac

Edited by Colu
  • Like 2