AQ CoOP Color fluid bed diy filter.

Nacskins

On 8/21/2023 at 11:14 AM, nabokovfan87 said:

Nice work. I imagine the fun part is maintenance time.

The theory behind fluidized bed filters, the bio-media constant banging against each other will knock off any dead bacteria hence, it is self cleaning.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 8/21/2023 at 3:07 PM, madmark285 said:

The theory behind fluidized bed filters, the bio-media constant banging against each other will knock off any dead bacteria hence, it is self cleaning.  

The sponge is  moreso what I was referring to.

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

On 8/21/2023 at 8:20 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

The sponge is  more so what I was referring to.

Understood. My original design for my sump filter had 3 walls with large sponge filter pad between them. It did not  work well. Another CARE contributor, OnlyGenusCaps, introduced me to fluidized beds and filter socks. The only way I could modify the sump, put the fluidized bed in the first chamber of the sump which gets all the crap from the tank, the filter socks were mounted in the water pump chamber. This is the opposite of how commercial sump work, the filter socks are always first.

Surprisingly, this actually worked 🙂 The air stone in the fluidized bed would keep the crap from settling on the bottom, the socks would do their job right before the water is returned to the tank. So the only maintenance for the fluidized bed was cleaning/changing the air stones. 

So thinking about it, the fluidized bed in a bottle may require more maintenance if any crap gets in the bottle and can get out. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/21/2023 at 11:31 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

have you ever used the ziss ones?

No but I should have gotten this from Amazon instead of the Tidal 75 I got. My 75 gallon started to leak and I needed a filter quick. Aquarium COOP says: 

Best combined with a sponge filter or hang on back as this will handle your biological load in the aquarium and some mechanical, but if you want crystal clear water you'll want to add a mechanical filter like a sponge filter or hang on back to the mix.

That kind of sucks for small tanks, they need a one filter for all solution. For a 75 gallon tank, 2 of these in the corners with a HOB for mechanical filtrations would be a good solution.