Limnophila help

I have a 10 gallon planted tank with various plant species. I leave my lightning ON for 8-9 hours/day and I also dose Flourish once a week. I am noticing that the Limnophila sessiliflora that I have is not doing good. The bottom parts of the plant seems to be decaying and I had one stem rot, leaving only the top part healthy, which I planted in the substrate. The top part seems to be doing good and is sprouting. Most of my other plants are thriving and showing new growth (java fern, anubias, cryptocorine). I am thinking the light does not hit the bottom parts of the plant?

364397607_1322375305368550_3304586875705691587_n.jpg

364813410_1264662284419837_6415707292744893493_n.jpg

365385963_639494724822759_7294391975253721419_n.jpg

365734308_1442096289904654_7651909695029361164_n.jpg

On 8/7/2023 at 2:32 AM, gdachev said:

I have a 10 gallon planted tank with various plant species. I leave my lightning ON for 8-9 hours/day and I also dose Flourish once a week. I am noticing that the Limnophila sessiliflora that I have is not doing good. The bottom parts of the plant seems to be decaying and I had one stem rot, leaving only the top part healthy, which I planted in the substrate. The top part seems to be doing good and is sprouting. Most of my other plants are thriving and showing new growth (java fern, anubias, cryptocorine). I am thinking the light does not hit the bottom parts of the plant?

Hi @gdachev,

It could be light however it could be nutrient related as well especially since it appears to be an inert substrate in the tank.  To better determine the cause more information would help such as:

Tank Size (gallons / liters)
Fertilizers used:  what / how much (tsp or ml) / how often
Water Parameters (pH, dKH, dGH, nitrates in ppm)

-Roy

On 8/7/2023 at 6:28 PM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @gdachev,

It could be light however it could be nutrient related as well especially since it appears to be an inert substrate in the tank.  To better determine the cause more information would help such as:

Tank Size (gallons / liters)
Fertilizers used:  what / how much (tsp or ml) / how often
Water Parameters (pH, dKH, dGH, nitrates in ppm)

-Roy

Thanks for the reply.

Here are the parameters of the tank:

10 gallons

Seachem Flourish once a week (about 1/5th of a cap)

6.8 ph, 0 nitrates. 

Why I am leaning towards light is because isn’t it true that if it was about nutrients there would be no growth at the top too?

On 8/7/2023 at 8:48 AM, gdachev said:

Thanks for the reply.

Here are the parameters of the tank:

10 gallons

Seachem Flourish once a week (about 1/5th of a cap)

6.8 ph, 0 nitrates. 

Why I am leaning towards light is because isn’t it true that if it was about nutrients there would be no growth at the top too?

Hi @gdachev

Let me answer your question first.....no, plants can continue to grow even with insufficient nutrients.  There are two type of nutrients that plants utilize, mobile nutrients and immobile nutrients.  Mobile nutrients are nutrients the plant can move from one area of the plant to another where it is most needed (new growth).  Immobile nutrients are nutrients the plant cannot move.  Examples of the major mobile nutrients are: all the macro nutrients (nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus) along with magnesium.  Immobile nutrients include iron, calcium, sulfur, manganese, and sulfur.

However I do not believe the major problem with your tank is lake of a particular nutrient but rather almost all nutrients!  Seachem Comprehensive is a fine product, I use it myself for micro nutrients however it is lacking in sufficient amounts of the macro nutrients (N, P, K) for good, healthy plant growth (see pic below).  The plants that will show this lack of nutrients first are the fastest growing species of which Limnophila sessilifolia is one.  (BTW Limnophila sessilifolia is on the Federal Noxious Weed list and is regulated in the U.S.).  So the Limnophila sessilifolia  is moving the nutrients from older leaves to newer leaves and the older leaves suffer. 

I suggest going with a better balanced fertilizer such as Nilocg.com Thrive or Aquarium Co-Op Easy Green.  Both would work fine in your tank with a 6.8 pH.  Start with the dosage shown on the bottle and use it for one month.....you should see major improvement in your plants.  The damage to the stems will not disappear however the new growth should be strong and lush and when the stems are long enough cut off the tops and plant them getting rid of the old stems.  Hope this helps! -Roy

SeachemFlourishLabel.jpg.b6a6c9e0ae15b45d3dc88f5c01c468b4.jpg 

2022-01-2130GallonDiscus(1)CroppedAdjSnSm.jpg.137c02f7bc604f33b0f4fafaeb93ac38.jpg

Edited by Seattle_Aquarist
  • Thanks 2

On 8/7/2023 at 8:50 PM, Seattle_Aquarist said:

Hi @gdachev

Let me answer your question first.....no, plants can continue to grow even with insufficient nutrients.  There are two type of nutrients that plants utilize, mobile nutrients and immobile nutrients.  Mobile nutrients are nutrients the plant can move from one area of the plant to another where it is most needed (new growth).  Immobile nutrients are nutrients the plant cannot move.  Examples of the major mobile nutrients are: all the macro nutrients (nitrogen, potassium, phosphorus) along with magnesium.  Immobile nutrients include iron, calcium, sulfur, manganese, and sulfur.

However I do not believe the major problem with your tank is lake of a particular nutrient but rather almost all nutrients!  Seachem Comprehensive is a fine product, I use it myself for micro nutrients however it is lacking in sufficient amounts of the macro nutrients (N, P, K) for good, healthy plant growth (see pic below).  The plants that will show this lack of nutrients first are the fastest growing species of which Limnophila sessilifolia is one.  (BTW Limnophila sessilifolia is on the Federal Noxious Weed list and is regulated in the U.S.).  So the Limnophila sessilifolia  is moving the nutrients from older leaves to newer leaves and the older leaves suffer. 

I suggest going with a better balanced fertilizer such as Nilocg.com Thrive or Aquarium Co-Op Easy Green.  Both would work fine in your tank with a 6.8 pH.  Start with the dosage shown on the bottle and use it for one month.....you should see major improvement in your plants.  The damage to the stems will not disappear however the new growth should be strong and lush and when the stems are long enough cut off the tops and plant them getting rid of the old stems.  Hope this helps! -Roy

SeachemFlourishLabel.jpg.b6a6c9e0ae15b45d3dc88f5c01c468b4.jpg 

2022-01-2130GallonDiscus(1)CroppedAdjSnSm.jpg.137c02f7bc604f33b0f4fafaeb93ac38.jpg

Thank you so much for the elaborate answer! It was very informative and I get it now. However one problem arises is that none of these fertilizers are available to me in my country. I have found an alternative which is Dennerle NPK Booster which contains all N, P, K nutrients so I guess I will try to dose this. Is there anything I should look for as in amounts of these macro elements in the fertiliser?

• Like 1

On 8/15/2023 at 5:51 AM, gdachev said:

Thank you so much for the elaborate answer! It was very informative and I get it now. However one problem arises is that none of these fertilizers are available to me in my country. I have found an alternative which is Dennerle NPK Booster which contains all N, P, K nutrients so I guess I will try to dose this. Is there anything I should look for as in amounts of these macro elements in the fertiliser?

Hi @gdachev,

Nope, adding the macro nutrients should help resolve the issues.   Start slow with 1/2 dose for a few weeks and then add higher amounts if problems persist.  -Roy

• Thanks 1