Dwarf/Pygmy Rasboras and Blackworms

drossean

I've had10 dwarf rasboras in a heavily planted 7-gallon cube with cherry shrimp for about 6 weeks.  I feed baby brine and crushed various other foods which they love.  I noticed on the days they don't get the bbs, two of them will hunt the blackworms that live in the substrate (this was formerly home to a betta who was upgraded to his own 10-gallon and loved hunting the worms). 

Is it safe for them to eat blackworms?  They grab one and get it floating up in the water and then take bites out of it while it wiggles around, I've never seen them eat one whole.  I could try to remove all the blackworms but they're part of the ecosystem now and the rasboras seem to enjoy hunting them.

They can nibble on blackworms all they want.  If anything, it may segment them and encourage them to regenerate/reproduce.  Nice environmental and nutritional enrichment.  They will also love Grindal worms, whiteworms, and vinegar eels along with Daphnia and Ceriodaphnia, and baby scuds among others.

Thanks!  I've seen them eating the smaller scuds in the tank and I'm working on culturing vinegar eels right now.  It's fun to watch them brighten up when eating live foods versus processed!  If only they would help keep the booming cherry shrimp population in check - there's apparently too many hiding places for the newborn shrimplets.

• Haha 1