Sick Hatchet Fish

FishyGirl

Hi! I finished my tank today and added my final touch black spot hatchet fish, the smallest one of the group has been acting strangely, swimming upside down and sideways sinking floating at the top, will he survive and what could it be that’s making him do this I have a feeling that it could be swim bladder disease but have no clue how to treat it, please help! Don’t want to loose this little guy 

My water prematures are Amonia 0 Nitrite 0 and Nitrate 5 ( I did a water change yesterday before adding my fish and my water is 76 degrees f. My ph is 6.8

Also there was rapid breathing when I could find him. But after last night he is nowhere to be found so I’m afraid I can’t post a picture. If he died last night do you think my fish would have eaten him and could what he have had been contagious 

On 8/7/2023 at 4:48 PM, FishyGirl said:

My water prematures are Amonia 0 Nitrite 0 and Nitrate 5 ( I did a water change yesterday before adding my fish and my water is 76 degrees f. My ph is 6.8

Also there was rapid breathing when I could find him. But after last night he is nowhere to be found so I’m afraid I can’t post a picture. If he died last night do you think my fish would have eaten him and could what he have had been contagious 

Dead fish can be consumed in a matter of hours by fish and snails in your tank it's difficult to say whether it's contagious without noing the cause I would just keep a very close eye on your fish for a couple of weeks to make sure everyone is eating ok and your not noticing any odd behaviour 

Edited by Colu