Looking for a nano tank self-priming, quiet HOB filter

HoosierJeff

On 9/9/2023 at 9:57 PM, _Eric_ said:

Not yet.  Haven’t set up that tank.  Planning to go with the BioCompact when I do though 

@_Eric_ FYI, I got an Oase BioCompact 50 for my Betta's 5 gallon. Love it. It is hard to fathom how tiny it is until you see the box and then pull the filter out. Went with the 50 to have a bit more filter media space. I used the included sponge on the one side, and filled both "pill box" compartments with Seachem Matrix. I have the flow turned down about 50% for my Betta's comfort. There is still a wee bit of plant movement on the far end of the tank, but he isn't fleeing the flow at all, so I don't think he's bothered by it. Ended up liking it so much that I bought a second to setup an un-used 5 gallon tank. I have that one on full flow while it cycles, and want to leave it like that once I stock so I can enjoy the flowing Val.

The filters are super quiet, with only a slight hum audible near the tank. I ended up attaching a metal plate to the back of the filter, and attaching a metal plate on the outside of the tank. I popped a few small magnets on the outside plate, which then holds the filter in place, allowing me to grab the filter in and out without messing with the suction cups. The metal plate arrangement transferred a bit more hum noise, so I super glued a thin layer of rubber to the metal plate on the back of the filter and that absorbs the hum and silenced it. I hope that makes sense. I love not messing with suction cups when I pull the filter out to clean it.

Let me know if you want more input on the BioCompact 50 or the magnet system I made up.

IMG_1466.jpeg

Thanks so much for following up!  that magnet idea is pretty ingenious.  I think I may go with a 25 on the 6 gallon I have as i think it will just be shrimp and plants in there.  I have a 10 gallon in the "to do" line and think a 50 would be perfect for that.  Will have to post when I get that done.

On 9/21/2023 at 4:35 PM, HoosierJeff said:

I ended up attaching a metal plate to the back of the filter, and attaching a metal plate on the outside of the tank. I popped a few small magnets on the outside plate, which then holds the filter in place, allowing me to grab the filter in and out without messing with the suction cups. The metal plate arrangement transferred a bit more hum noise, so I super glued a thin layer of rubber to the metal plate on the back of the filter and that absorbs the hum and silenced it. I hope that makes sense. I love not messing with suction cups when I pull the filter out to clean it.

Awesome! This goes into my idea box. Why can't the filter manufacturers just use magnets, instead of suction cups?

Those are smartphone plates for quick charging and mounting in a automobile dashboard, right? 

The adhesive backing has to remain above water, I suppose.

On 9/21/2023 at 4:59 PM, _Eric_ said:

Thanks so much for following up!  that magnet idea is pretty ingenious.  I think I may go with a 25 on the 6 gallon I have as i think it will just be shrimp and plants in there.  I have a 10 gallon in the "to do" line and think a 50 would be perfect for that.  Will have to post when I get that done.

The 25 would be just fine for that. I figured it would also be ok for my Betta, but got the 50 to have more options down the line. Enjoy your setup!

On 9/21/2023 at 5:44 PM, HelplessNewbie said:

Awesome! This goes into my idea box. Why can't the filter manufacturers just use magnets, instead of suction cups?

Those are smartphone plates for quick charging and mounting in a automobile dashboard, right? 

Agreed! A few more details.

I used metal plates like these, and magnets like these

On the back of the filter, I used the adhesive on the metal plate to attach the plate to the filter (so far it has stayed in place). Then I added two layers of cut out (and thoroughly washed!) bike inner tube. I super glued these to each other and to the plate. I'm sure other kinds of rubber would work, but this is what I had laying around. I tried at first without the rubber, and more hum/vibration transferred from the filter to the glass, which made it larger. I was concerned this might happen, so had the rubber option ready to go. With that in place, and a few days of operation, I can't hear the filter at all, and I'm sitting right next to the tank it is in (on my desk.)

As for the aquarium part, at first I didn't attach the metal plate to the glass (with the adhesive.) I ended up putting six magnets on the backside of the metal plate on the outside of the aquarium. This allowed me to move the filter around and figure out the placement I wanted. Once that was settled, I did use the adhesive to attach the metal plate to the outside of the tank, with the magnets sitting on the metal plate. 

It is strong enough that I can move the filter around some and it holds just fine; I don't have to line it up perfectly for it to hold. I have a second Oase BioCompact 50 in another tank, and haven't yet done the magnet trick on that one, but will be doing it soon now that I know it works so well. (The suction cups are a pain on the one that still has them...can't wait to be done with that!)

I'd send you a picture of the setup, but the side of the tank with the filter is up against a wall, so can't get a picture from the outside of the tank. Edit: Attached the best pic I could grab of the outside part of the magnet setup.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.

EDIT: For anyone who stumbles upon this and thinks it is a great idea to try. Don’t! The adhesive on the metal plate I attached to the filter (ie, inside the tank) wreaked havoc on my water parameters. It might work with a fish-tank-safe super glue, but I’d still be aware that using the metal plate transmitted much more vibration from the filter than the suction cups do (which comes as no surprise.) All in all, I liked the idea, but call it a failed experiment. 

IMG_1559.jpeg

Edited by HoosierJeff
To add a caution
  • Thanks 1

In S.W. magnets are a major source of metals contamination and tank decline.  They have to be encased in epoxy, and the water STILL absorbs through, just a matter of when. 

I have no idea if that would matter in fw?  

On 9/22/2023 at 8:44 PM, Littlefish said:

In S.W. magnets are a major source of metals contamination and tank decline.  They have to be encased in epoxy, and the water STILL absorbs through, just a matter of when. 

I have no idea if that would matter in fw?  

Thanks, but the magnets are all on the outside. 

• 1 month later...
On 9/21/2023 at 4:35 PM, HoosierJeff said:

@_Eric_ FYI, I got an Oase BioCompact 50 for my Betta's 5 gallon. Love it. It is hard to fathom how tiny it is until you see the box and then pull the filter out. Went with the 50 to have a bit more filter media space. I used the included sponge on the one side, and filled both "pill box" compartments with Seachem Matrix. I have the flow turned down about 50% for my Betta's comfort. There is still a wee bit of plant movement on the far end of the tank, but he isn't fleeing the flow at all, so I don't think he's bothered by it. Ended up liking it so much that I bought a second to setup an un-used 5 gallon tank. I have that one on full flow while it cycles, and want to leave it like that once I stock so I can enjoy the flowing Val.

The filters are super quiet, with only a slight hum audible near the tank. I ended up attaching a metal plate to the back of the filter, and attaching a metal plate on the outside of the tank. I popped a few small magnets on the outside plate, which then holds the filter in place, allowing me to grab the filter in and out without messing with the suction cups. The metal plate arrangement transferred a bit more hum noise, so I super glued a thin layer of rubber to the metal plate on the back of the filter and that absorbs the hum and silenced it. I hope that makes sense. I love not messing with suction cups when I pull the filter out to clean it.

Let me know if you want more input on the BioCompact 50 or the magnet system I made up.

IMG_1466.jpeg

Following up on this magnet attachment idea I tried out. It was a COMPLETE bust. The adhesive (or metal? I’m guessing adhesive) on the metal plate I attached to the filter (and thus was inside the tank) was massively messing with the water parameters. As soon as I removed that the returned to normal and stayed stable. 

I reverted to the suction cups that came with the filters, and have been very happy with everything. I have these Oase BioCompact 50’s in two tanks: 5.5 gallon one with a few guppies, and 10 gallon betta tank. The guppies like the flow in their small tank, so I leave it on high. However, even turned all the way down, the flow still blew my betta around in his tank, so I ended up putting a pre-filter sponge on the outlet and that diffuses the flow plenty (even with the flow turned all the way up.) I’m very happy with these filters. They’re pretty quiet, and the filtering performance is great. I left the blue sponge that came with the filter on the one side, and filled both pillboxes with Seachem Matrix and have been very happy with the condition of the water in both tanks.

On 8/6/2023 at 2:38 PM, HoosierJeff said:

Folks -

I’m in the market for small, quiet HOB filters for two tanks (5 gallon shrimp colony and 10 gallon betta tank.) The catch is we get enough short power outages that I need self-priming filters. Self-priming filters that have low enough flow for a small tank and a betta are hard to find, though. 

Have any recommendations? 

(FWIW, I’m coming from sponge filters, but I *hate* hearing the pumps (the betta tank is in my bedroom), and I’ve had enough of the nano pumps die on me, that I’m looking for a different solution.)

Thanks for your help and input!

Not sure if mentioned yet but Marina S10 HOB for the 10 gal tank. Add a baffle or suction cup soap dish with flat marbles in it under the outflow to control current. The pump sits in the tank and it self primes. Easy peasy!

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea
  • Like 1

On 11/23/2023 at 9:00 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Not sure if mentioned yet but Marina S10 HOB for the 10 gal tank. Add a baffle or suction cup soap dish with flat marbles in it under the outflow to control current. The pump sits in the tank and it self primes. Easy peasy!

Thank you! That filter is for sure on my list if I am looking for a HOB. Right now I’m really happy with the internal filters I’m using (Oase BioCompact 50 on two tanks, and Sicce Shark ADV 400 on two tanks.)

• Like 1