Pounds of substrate for 10G

Jackson

Anyone know how many pounds of substrate goes into a 10g ? Getting ready to order some soil and sand . I want contrasoil topped with caribsea sand . I forgot how many 5lb bags of gravel I used for  my 10 when I set it up . I think it was five 5lb bags .

You should calculate the liter as it refers to volume. The same volume you wanna cover will be stable but pound/kg are subject to change based on what sand, gravel ,aquasoil etc. you use. Tropicals 9L aquasoil is roughly 9kgs. But my 5kg fine sand covers 3L area.

This is how you calculate:

Lenght of the tank in cmdepth in cm x height of substrate you want to have = amount of substrate you need in liter

• Like 3

On 8/4/2023 at 7:38 AM, Lennie said:

You should calculate the liter as it refers to volume. The same volume you wanna cover will be stable but pound/kg are subject to change based on what sand, gravel ,aquasoil etc. you use. Tropicals 9L aquasoil is roughly 9kgs. But my 5kg fine sand covers 3L area.

This is how you calculate:

Lenght of the tank in cmdepth in cm x height of substrate you want to have = amount of substrate you need in liter

Thanks Lennie .. I'll just whip all that into imperial ... lol 

• Haha 1

On 8/4/2023 at 7:45 AM, DaveO said:

A 20lb bag was plenty for me, in fact I didn't use it all.

Ya ,looking at a 20lb just to be safe . I just don't want a bunch of extra . Have to order it from amazon and don't want to run short though.

• Like 1

On 8/4/2023 at 6:50 AM, Jackson said:

Ya ,looking at a 20lb just to be safe . I just don't want a bunch of extra . Have to order it from amazon and don't want to run short though.

I always end up needing more for something, so extra is good to have on hand.

• Like 1