Large white lump on betta’s head

Phoenix1391

The bump has been quickly growing this week. I was thinking it was a tumor as he may not have the best breeding as he has diamond eye. But upon feeding him today I noticed it turned white maybe looking like it developed into a lesion? Before it was just a bump under scales. Is it possibly a cyst or abscess that popped? And how should i treat?

the tank is a 14 gallon heavily planted, well established for months, filtered with an aqua clear 50. Ph stays between 6.5 - 7.0. Nitrates are usually pretty low as I do weekly 70 % water changes with remineralized RO. 

IMG_2393.jpeg

IMG_2396.jpeg

IMG_2397.jpeg

IMG_2398.jpeg

On 7/31/2023 at 7:35 PM, Phoenix1391 said:

The bump has been quickly growing this week. I was thinking it was a tumor as he may not have the best breeding as he has diamond eye. But upon feeding him today I noticed it turned white maybe looking like it developed into a lesion? Before it was just a bump under scales. Is it possibly a cyst or abscess that popped? And how should i treat?

the tank is a 14 gallon heavily planted, well established for months, filtered with an aqua clear 50. Ph stays between 6.5 - 7.0. Nitrates are usually pretty low as I do weekly 70 % water changes with remineralized RO. 

IMG_2393.jpeg

IMG_2396.jpeg

IMG_2397.jpeg

IMG_2398.jpeg

This is just me but I feel like 70% per week is very stressful for the fish. If you manage your ferts well, you should really only need like 20% weekly. My guess is it’s something bacterial. You could quarantine him with water and treat the quarantine tank with antibiotics if you want.

On 7/31/2023 at 6:40 PM, Zac said:

This is just me but I feel like 70% per week is very stressful for the fish. If you manage your ferts well, you should really only need like 20% weekly. My guess is it’s something bacterial. You could quarantine him with water and treat the quarantine tank with antibiotics if you want.

So maracyn? And if he’s the only inhabitant couldn’t I just treat that tank? 

On 7/31/2023 at 11:03 PM, Phoenix1391 said:

So maracyn? And if he’s the only inhabitant couldn’t I just treat that tank? 

You could treat the tank, but you have to be careful with the salt since you have plants if you decide to use it. Maracyn should be fine. Is he acting normal otherwise?

On 8/1/2023 at 4:19 AM, Phoenix1391 said:

Yeah he’s acting perfectly normal, that’s partly why I thought it was a tumor. 

Looks like a growth to me possibly the start of tumor they are really common in bettas you have a couple of opinions monitor see how it progresses you could do a course of maracyn2 in food feeding a small amount twice a day for 7 days the active ingredient minocycline has anti-inflammatory properties might help skink the lump and a would add a small amount of aquarium salt 1 table spoon for 10 gallons at that level it won't harm your plants it will aid Gill function and add essential electrolytes 

IMG_20230115_234745.jpg