Possible Hole in Head?

Zac

Hey all,

I posted a photo of my opaline gourami. There’s a strange mark that almost looks like a bump on his head. Could this be the start of hole in the head?

I hope it’s not. I am currently treating the tank for secondary bacterial infections from ich. Maracyn has made a massive improvement to many of the fish. A couple are still sick. I’m trying the Co-op method where I let the meds sit for a week before I treat again and it’s been about 4 days since I put maracyn in. 

I did notice the base of the gouramis pectoral fins were bright red a day or so ago and they seem much better.

My ammonia and nitrites are 0 and nitrates are around 20-30ppm. The tank also has ich X in it, some paracleanse, and low salt because I had no idea what I was dealing with a few days ago and I will admit…I was slightly panicky😅 Now, I’m fairly confident it started as ich and progressed to a bacterial infection because of the bloom I had. Most of the fish are improving I’m heasitant to treat again because I don’t want the bacterial bloom to come back. I’d like to wait the full week before treating again if needed.

Anyways…hopefully that mark is nothing to be worried about. I could just be paranoid lol. He’s acting perfectly fine otherwise

IMG_4263.jpeg

IMG_4270.jpeg

IMG_4264.jpeg

Edited by Zac

With the picture quality it's difficult to tell if that's hole in the head if it were you would want to treat with metroplex in food feeding a small amount twice a day for upto 3 weeks the co-op treatment protocol is a preventive treatment if your fish have an active infection I would treat following instructions of The box @Zac 

IMG_20230115_234815.jpg

• Like 1

On 7/26/2023 at 8:42 PM, Colu said:

With the picture quality it's difficult to tell if that's hole in the head if it were you would want to treat with metroplex in food feeding a small amount twice a day for upto 3 weeks the co-op treatment protocol is a preventive treatment if your fish have an active infection I would treat following instructions of The box @Zac 

IMG_20230115_234815.jpg

It turns out my nitrites are actually .25. Ammonia is 0. Yesterday nitrites were at 0 but I could tell something was off. My gourami is acting a little more skittish and swimming a little more erratically. Nothing crazy though. I’m guessing the antibiotics I added are disrupting the cycle. I added prime to the tank and I think I’m going to check tomorrow to see if it went down. This is what I get for not having a quarantine tank😅