Discus Tank Setup

Twood

On 7/29/2023 at 9:20 AM, Shadow said:

Do you keep both GBRs and Blue Acaras in the same tank? How does that work out? I thought about doing the same thing, but in a previous thread someone thought it might be difficult due to combating parameters. 

No, I had EBAs + Discus then GBRs + Discus. I haven’t kept EBAs with GBRs. But I keep them all in the same parameters.

We bred a LOT of EBAs…

Edited by Fish Folk
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

On 7/29/2023 at 8:55 AM, Fish Folk said:

No, I had EBAs + Discus then GBRs + Discus. I haven’t kept EBAs with GBRs. But I keep them all in the same parameters.

We bred a LOT of EBAs…

Oh wow! I have to admit, I have wanted to keep these fish myself for a while. What would you think on keeping both EBRs and GBRs in the same tank? Also, thoughts on CO2 in a Discus tank? I know they require heavily oxygenated water, right? Just curious as most of my heavier planted tanks I keep CO2 hooked to make the plants pop. Mother Java Ferns especially grow so well with it. 

Also, in case you all didn't realize it...you have convinced me not to be scared of keeping Discus. Something I have wanted to keep from the start...so welp, I am going all in. Cichlids and Discus here we go!

• Like 2

On 7/29/2023 at 10:01 AM, Shadow said:

Oh wow! I have to admit, I have wanted to keep these fish myself for a while. What would you think on keeping both EBRs and GBRs in the same tank? Also, thoughts on CO2 in a Discus tank? I know they require heavily oxygenated water, right? Just curious as most of my heavier planted tanks I keep CO2 hooked to make the plants pop. Mother Java Ferns especially grow so well with it. 

Also, in case you all didn't realize it...you have convinced me not to be scared of keeping Discus. Something I have wanted to keep from the start...so welp, I am going all in. Cichlids and Discus here we go!

Awesome 😎 

I think there might be drama between GBRs and EBAs. If they all grow up together from young, maybe Ok.

Cichlids of all species tend to establish a pecking order in a tank. Eventually there will be a “tank boss” who keeps the peace. But con-specific species (cichlids that look enough alike) will fight it out, sometimes fatally.

• Like 2

On 7/29/2023 at 9:07 AM, Fish Folk said:

Awesome 😎 

I think there might be drama between GBRs and EBAs. If they all grow up together from young, maybe Ok.

Cichlids of all species tend to establish a pecking order in a tank. Eventually there will be a “tank boss” who keeps the peace. But con-specific species (cichlids that look enough alike) will fight it out, sometimes fatally.

Appreciate it...figured as someone that has kept both for a while, you'd know temperament. I am thinking of doing two Discus tanks maybe for foyer and a larger one in my offish. So might do GBRs in one and EBRs in the other. 

• Like 1