What is the best way to RR clean a large ACO sponge filter?

KittenFishMom

I have a large, or maybe extra large, ACO sponge filter that was in a tank with leeches. Is there a recommended method for RR cleaning to make sure the inside of the base gets completely cleaned and all the leeches that might be hiding in the base are killed 

I am tempted to buy new sponge filters for all my tanks, but I feel like putting that much plastic into a landfill is not what should happen.

Is it best to have the sponge off the plastic parts?

Is it best to have the base on its side or flat on the bottom of the bucket?

Will putting a bag of rock on the sponge to keep it submerged prevent the flow of CO2 to all the parts of the sponge?

I'm also doing ACO heaters and a bucket or 2 of plants.  Once I can move the life stock out of the 55 gallon tank with leeches, I will be doing some huge plants, that are 3/4 or of the water. figuring out how to submerge enough of the plant and cover everything is still beyond me. I think about it every time I look at the tank. Catching the kuhli loaches will be tricky. I thought they died, then they started coming out for brine shrimp. catching the hillstream loach also looks tricky. I'm hoping to get the in the feeder trap, but the have lots of algae to munch on, so I will need to remove a lot of that to get them hungry.

Anyone recommend a cheap source for a lot of seltzer? We can't seem to find it in 2 liter bottles around here. 1-liter bottles are also a lot of plastic, even if it gets recycled.

Thanks for your input

KittenFishMom and her crew

@Pepere I am a daughter of a daughter of the depression. I am always saving things just in case. I like your game plan.

I will replace the sponge filters. All the substrate will go to the rose bushes and lavender plot.  I think I will plant the plants in soil and not try to RR them. I will also buy new heaters and clean the ones I have and the set the up in a bare bottom tank in the fall and see what develops. 

Thanks for your input.

RR is not the best method for cleaning hardscape and equipment. RR kills all beneficial bacteria so there is no advantage over hydrogen peroxide and hot water. 
Pour H2O2 directly on everything soak if you can for 15-30 minutes and then Rinse clean. 

H2O2 will be faster and take less product. 

Dismantle the sponge to clean. 

• Thanks 1