Advice for moving fish temporarily?

So my 55 gallon tank has a crack, it isn't leaking yet but I'd prefer to avert disaster if possible so I've purchased a new tank, a 75, cause why not, lol, and am getting an actual tank stand instead of the dresser it's on (I'm a bit worried the cracks are from stress) Everything should be in by Friday so I can get the new tank set up but I'm too wary of leaving the tank with water in it. I have extra tanks because if a fairly recent upgrade for other tanks and the tank is semi understocked anyway so most of the fish will be fine. My main concerns are the bn pleco and the angel. Will they be ok in a 10 gallon for just a few days? It would be just them, the others would be elsewhere. I have a 29 gallon tank but it's got a bunch of platy babies currently and is decently planted so I don't think I'd be able to get the babies out. Well technically their like 6 months but still small enough to be eaten by angel. 

Also advice on moving to the 75 without killing the cycle? 

• Like 1

Not sure about the angels, I’d guess it just depends on size.

To not kill the cycle, I would say take the substrate, decor, and filter media out of your current cycled 55 gallon aquarium, and put all of those in the 75. That should be enough bacteria to instant cycle it.

On 7/24/2023 at 7:32 AM, GisheryGoodness said:

My main concerns are the bn pleco and the angel. Will they be ok in a 10 gallon for just a few days? I

As long as the angel isn't dragging fins on the bottom, yes. If the angel is dragging, the. Something like a 20H or a plastic tote might be something to use for short term holding.

On 7/24/2023 at 7:32 AM, GisheryGoodness said:

Also advice on moving to the 75 without killing the cycle? 

Put everything into buckets or totes and try to keep it wet. Obviously the priority is to keep the filtration media cycled....

1. Move the fish, wherer the fish are you can either:

A. Setup the filter on that holding setup

B. Move the media to the bottom of the tank and just add airstones to that holding tank

2. Move all of the hardscape, plants, etc. To bucket or totes. They will be absolutely fine. If you add an air stone it will help to keep the bacteria alive.

3. Scoop out the substrate and clean it if you wish. It is often extremely dirty.

4. Setup the new tank, level the stand, then the tank, etc.

5. Add the substrate and rocks, add the water to the tank to keep things damp.

6. Fill the tank (or plant it if you prefer to plant it with the water low, then fill)

7. Move your filtration to the new tank

8. Let that filter run for at least an hour or so and start to gather debris. Check the tank parameters before adding fish.

9. Keep the stocking light as you can, let the plants take hold and then let the filtration regenerate any lost bacteria.

10. After about 2 weeks or so, you should be safe to start adding fish, but the plants may take up to a month to acclimate.

As a sidenote. You're going to love the 75G. It's such an easier tank to work with. I'm excited for you!

Thank you. Sorry, for late reply, it's been a busy week. I'm back to work after bring off for surgery. The only stand I found within my price range that I trusted was supposed to be shipped today, it still hasn't arrived. We lowered the water below the crack so I don't have to move the fish until the other tank is semi ready, like the same day. 

Two questions my heater is a 300 watt is that going to be adequate? And also lighting? I'll have a glass top on the aqueon brand tank, the 55 I have currently cane with lights so definitely gonna need a different one but not sure how to find one for such a large tank without breaking my wallet, lol.