Can mystery snails change sex?

Epiphanaea

No mystery snails cannot change sex to the best of my knowledge. I’ve raised many clutches and when I do not want breeding I separate males and females to separate tanks. 
The confusion comes in because female mystery snails can hold sperm males deposit for up to 10 months before using it  to create fertile eggs. This leads some folks to think they can reproduce asexually or they have all girls and think another female has changed sex to fertilize them. 

• Like 2

On 7/21/2023 at 11:22 AM, Lennie said:

As Gup said, No, but males do mate with other males too. Even with other snails with similar size and they don’t care about the gender. Maybe that confused you

Thanks!  No, I was just researching at this point, I only have one snail.

On 7/21/2023 at 11:22 AM, Guppysnail said:

No mystery snails cannot change sex to the best of my knowledge. I’ve raised many clutches and when I do not want breeding I separate males and females to separate tanks. 

Thank you - this is my concern, I don’t want babies and feel weird about discarding the eggs (I feel a bit bad even with bladder snails).  I made sure I got this guy/gal too small to have mated, but s/he seems kinda lonely.  I’d like to get her a friend once I can be sure she is a she.  Though that still might be problematic because a snail old enough to be sexed could have mated so - maybe she’ll get a pond snail friend.  

• Like 1

On 7/21/2023 at 9:50 PM, Epiphanaea said:

Thanks!  No, I was just researching at this point, I only have one snail.

Thank you - this is my concern, I don’t want babies and feel weird about discarding the eggs (I feel a bit bad even with bladder snails).  I made sure I got this guy/gal too small to have mated, but s/he seems kinda lonely.  I’d like to get her a friend once I can be sure she is a she.  Though that still might be problematic because a snail old enough to be sexed could have mated so - maybe she’ll get a pond snail friend.  

To my knowledge, females still can lay eggs without males present. They are just infertile eggs. I have 11 adults but they have all been mixed with each other at some point so I don't even bother checking their gender as they potentially stored the sperm anyway 🤣

You can check it's gender actually

Anatomy & Gender Of A Mystery Snail – Mystery Snail GuardiansMSCGP | Reproductive BiologyHow to sex mystery snails (pomacea bridgesii) - YouTubeHow To Tell If A Mystery Snail Is Male Or Female? I Only Have One Mystery  S... | My Aquarium Club