Khuli Loaches and Detritus(Mulm)

Zac

Hey all,

As you can see by the photos, my tank has a small layer of detritus in it. This tank has been up for almost 2 years. I enjoy it personally. My water is clean (0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 20-30ppm nitrates). I like the natural look and the benefits it gives the plants when it seeps into the sand. The fish seem to enjoy digging through it and finding little goodies to eat.

My question is, will I have any issue keeping Khuli loaches if I have this detritus? (I can’t add any right now because I have some ich in the tank.) My thought is no but I’ve also heard that it can pose an increased risk for infection for Khuli loaches and other bottom dwellers. Is this something I’d need to be worried about if I end up getting some khuli loaches?

IMG_4225.jpeg

Edited by Zac

The only thing I'd be worried about is if there is anything sharp in the substrate that could scratch them, as they have no scales. I would take a few pinches of it and rub it in between your fingers and if it soft than put them in but if it has small stones or other sharp things then I would take it out.

• Like 1

On 7/17/2023 at 10:46 PM, murphy lover 101 said:

The only thing I'd be worried about is if there is anything sharp in the substrate that could scratch them, as they have no scales. I would take a few pinches of it and rub it in between your fingers and if it soft then put them in but if it has small stones or other sharp things then I would take it out.

I appreciate the input. It’s fine seachem black sand so I imagine it would be okay

• Like 1