New tank brainstorming...

Shadow

So...using a 60 gallon breeder to build another large tank for my parents in their foyer. 

Ideas, please tell me if my research is wrong and I should think different...

Main idea will be a river bank. Branches coming from one corner of the tank with a big sandy floor to the other side with a heavier flow on top of the water with the branch being on an incline to mimic the river bank. Will use larger round rocks and smooth pebbles as scatter gravel with heartier plants that aren't rooted, like Java Ferns and Buces. I plan on having this my first tank with a lid on it as well due to my fish choice possibly. 

Livestock Idea #1(Would reduce flow rate greatly here while having a lot of filtration and likely not use a lid) 8x German Blue Rams, 6x Congo Tetras, 4x Electric Blue Acara, 8x Rummynose Tetras, 8x Blue Emperor Tetras, 8x Pygmy Corys, 2x Bristlenose Plecos, some Mystery Snails & Amano Shrimp. 

Livestock Idea #2(With lid, higher flow, still a lot of filtration) 5x Boesmani Rainbows, 5x Turquoise Rainbows, 4x Electric Blue Acaras, 10x Blue Eyes Rainbows(of some sort undecided which yet), 8x Horseman Corys, 8x Blue Emperor Tetras, 2x Bristlenose Plecos, some Mystery Snails & Amano Shrimp

Keep in mind I will have loads of filtration(I have a bit less in a 40 gal and its A-OK) and plants plus will be running parameters 7.0 maybe slightly acidic with Livestock Idea #1. Right now I am leaning #1. 

Thoughts?

On 7/17/2023 at 5:04 PM, Shadow said:

Main idea will be a river bank. Branches coming from one corner of the tank with a big sandy floor to the other side with a heavier flow on top of the water with the branch being on an incline to mimic the river bank. Will use larger round rocks and smooth pebbles as scatter gravel with heartier plants that aren't rooted, like Java Ferns and Buces. I plan on having this my first tank with a lid on it as well due to my fish choice possibly. 

Sorry I got distracted with the image in my head and all the corydoras swimming on the bottom. 

On 7/17/2023 at 5:04 PM, Shadow said:

Keep in mind I will have loads of filtration(I have a bit less in a 40 gal and its A-OK) and plants plus will be running parameters 7.0 maybe slightly acidic with Livestock Idea #1. Right now I am leaning #1. 

I just have no idea how the rams will do with the acara.  Temps for the rams might exclude certain other fish from thriving on your list. 

If you go with the "river bank" I would be sure to check out some blackwater setups.  It doesn't have to be blackwater, but that stocking fits well with your general theme.  Corydoras, some barbs, rasbora, or minnows, apistogrammas, etc.

For the #1 setup, if you're confident the rams and acara will do well, it sounds like a wonderful setup.

On 7/17/2023 at 7:17 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Sorry I got distracted with the image in my head and all the corydoras swimming on the bottom. 

I just have no idea how the rams will do with the acara.  Temps for the rams might exclude certain other fish from thriving on your list. 

If you go with the "river bank" I would be sure to check out some blackwater setups.  It doesn't have to be blackwater, but that stocking fits well with your general theme.  Corydoras, some barbs, rasbora, or minnows, apistogrammas, etc.

For the #1 setup, if you're confident the rams and acara will do well, it sounds like a wonderful setup.

🤣 You and Corys!

I could always replace the Acara with something else, but I thought that they would get on well as they are both milder mannered fish. Only time Acaras get frisky I read is when they pair off and then they become territorial. I know that they all can be in waters of higher 70s to low 80s. Like I said, I posted this here so if there are def any experts, would love to hear the feedback. Thanks as always! 

On 7/17/2023 at 7:58 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Rainbows, rainbows, rainbows! That’s just what I’d do 

For me, it'd be a rainbow tank...but my parents really want a variety and they like the South American Cichlids and Apistos. I am a tetra fiend, gotta collect them all like Pokemons! 😆

• Love 1

On 7/17/2023 at 6:00 PM, Shadow said:

I could always replace the Acara with something else, but I thought that they would get on well as they are both milder mannered fish. Only time Acaras get frisky I read is when they pair off and then they become territorial. I know that they all can be in waters of higher 70s to low 80s. Like I said, I posted this here so if there are def any experts, would love to hear the feedback. Thanks as always! 

Yeah it's just the sheer number of territory and the rams you're talking. I've never had a group that size and I would think you'll have breeding (and defending) pretty easily and often. I don't know how acara breed, but it's another cichlid. That's what I was pondering. 👍

• Like 1

On 7/17/2023 at 9:17 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Yeah it's just the sheer number of territory and the rams you're talking. I've never had a group that size and I would think you'll have breeding (and defending) pretty easily and often. I don't know how acara breed, but it's another cichlid. That's what I was pondering. 👍

Might move some of the angels into it as they are getting bigger from the 40 gal...just skip the Acaras and replace with them as I already have em. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1