Switching CO2 regulators

Jeff_F

Last Sunday I noticed that my CO2 regulator had the tank side pressure gauge pinned at 90 psi and I could not change it either down or up using the pressure valve.  The needle valve was working so the bubble rate had not changed but I didn't think this was a good situation!  It was an inexpensive regulator, about $60, so I guess I got what I paid for!  I purchased a new Aquarium Coop regulator and it arrived today.

So, how do I make the switch?  I'm using a few more bubbles than you can easily count in the bubble chamber but I'd like to make the transition as easy as possible on the tank.  Any suggestions on how to match the current flow rate....or just wing it?!   I have been watching my daytime ph level and I thought I would just try and match it with the new regulator but this will take time.  Will the day or so of working it out be detrimental to the tank and cause algae?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Jeff

On 7/6/2023 at 2:38 PM, Jeff_F said:

Last Sunday I noticed that my CO2 regulator had the tank side pressure gauge pinned at 90 psi and I could not change it either down or up using the pressure valve.  The needle valve was working so the bubble rate had not changed but I didn't think this was a good situation!  It was an inexpensive regulator, about $60, so I guess I got what I paid for!  I purchased a new Aquarium Coop regulator and it arrived today.

So, how do I make the switch?  I'm using a few more bubbles than you can easily count in the bubble chamber but I'd like to make the transition as easy as possible on the tank.  Any suggestions on how to match the current flow rate....or just wing it?!   I have been watching my daytime ph level and I thought I would just try and match it with the new regulator but this will take time.  Will the day or so of working it out be detrimental to the tank and cause algae?

hello Jeff, welcome!

I believe the correct method would be...

1.  Turn off / close the canister of CO2.
2.  Off-gas / release the pressure from the co2 diffuser by letting the CO2 release from the bubble counter or something.  Be sure to ventilate the area and such as you need to.
3.  Remove the old regulator showing 0 pressure.
4.  Install the new one.

You can swap it out after the CO2 runs for the day, but given the equipment issue, you may have had a failure for a very long time and your dials, bubble counter, etc. may have been inaccurate.  Swap it over to the new one and just basically start over trying to dial things in.  Your plants will need to adapt, but you also will be in a much better situation given the accuracy issues.