Is my new tank big enough?

BenJames3445

On 7/19/2023 at 5:37 PM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

One other thought would be 3 otocinclus instead of a Siamese Algae Eater. I’m not a huge fan of SAEs. As an everyday algae eater the Otos will be better in every way. SAEs also get very large, can get aggressive with other fish especially when on their own and usually eat more fish food than algae. Just my experience. 

I personally disagree with this one based on my experience

Otos eat a very limited type of algae. Only some flat surface algae and that's it. They are usually done cleaning diatoms in 1-2 days and basically done. Also they are majorly wildcaught, subject to very questionable collection procedures from the wild, and goes through way too bad stuff just to eat diatom and some flat algae in our tanks. It is very hard to make them accept commercial food in general, has to be quarantined as they are wildcaught but they are mostly always starved and a fresh new qt tank will offer no food to these guys. The only way I can recommend them is getting tank-bred ones that are known to accept commercial food and veggies.

I have 3 SAEs(which I again recommend tankbred ones) and they only chase each other from time to time. Well, it was more common when they were small, but at this point they quit that behavior almost(which is to be said the opposite online and it conflicts with my experience so far, it is mentioned that they school as juveniles and get territorial as adults). I have never seen mine chasing any other tank member personally.

I have lost a bit of track regarding this topic, so Idk if it is mentioned, but don't forget that you will need a cycled sponge for a quarantine tank too.

You can also consider whiptails. Some tend to be on the herbivore heavy diet side. You can check royal farlowella whiptails. Whiptails are amazing creatures. I only have red lizard whiptails but they are on the carnivore side mostly and not really algae eaters. Meanwhile royal farlowellas may assist you through it as they need majorly a herbivore diet. They would love your tank I believe.

Edited by Lennie

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone!

Sorry I didn't reply, I took a bit of time away from the forum. I'll respond now though 😅

On 7/20/2023 at 12:37 AM, Beardedbillygoat1975 said:

One other thought would be 3 otocinclus instead of a Siamese Algae Eater. I’m not a huge fan of SAEs. As an everyday algae eater the Otos will be better in every way. SAEs also get very large, can get aggressive with other fish especially when on their own and usually eat more fish food than algae. Just my experience. 

I did have a look into those fish, but I'm going to opt for all of the fish for this tank to come from the south/south east Asia region (Sri Lanka, Thailand, Myanmar etc.). Then down the road, I'm thinking I'll start a tank for fish originating in South America (Tetras, Corydoras, Cichlids etc.). As these regions tend to have fish that prefer softer water (as my water is out of the tap) I'm thinking for ease of care to stick to fish from around these areas.

I was originally quite interested in Rainbow Sharks (back when I first looked into buying a tank) but with my 190L setup, I think it's too risky due to the dimensions and my shoaling fish.

On 7/20/2023 at 2:00 AM, Lennie said:

I personally disagree with this one based on my experience

Otos eat a very limited type of algae. Only some flat surface algae and that's it. They are usually done cleaning diatoms in 1-2 days and basically done. Also they are majorly wildcaught, subject to very questionable collection procedures from the wild, and goes through way too bad stuff just to eat diatom and some flat algae in our tanks. It is very hard to make them accept commercial food in general, has to be quarantined as they are wildcaught but they are mostly always starved and a fresh new qt tank will offer no food to these guys. The only way I can recommend them is getting tank-bred ones that are known to accept commercial food and veggies.

I have 3 SAEs(which I again recommend tankbred ones) and they only chase each other from time to time. Well, it was more common when they were small, but at this point they quit that behavior almost(which is to be said the opposite online and it conflicts with my experience so far, it is mentioned that they school as juveniles and get territorial as adults). I have never seen mine chasing any other tank member personally.

I have lost a bit of track regarding this topic, so Idk if it is mentioned, but don't forget that you will need a cycled sponge for a quarantine tank too.

You can also consider whiptails. Some tend to be on the herbivore heavy diet side. You can check royal farlowella whiptails. Whiptails are amazing creatures. I only have red lizard whiptails but they are on the carnivore side mostly and not really algae eaters. Meanwhile royal farlowellas may assist you through it as they need majorly a herbivore diet. They would love your tank I believe.

Hi Lennie!

Thank you for the information about the Otocinclus. That's one part of the hobby I haven't done a lot of research into, but I imagine it's largely everpresent.

In terms of the SAE, I'll likely leave it until last to add it (if I indeed do). I did have my mind set on one, but I'll come to that decision at a later date. There's a lot of conflicting information out there (which doesn't surprise me, given everyone has had different experiences with their own fish keeping). I'm hopeful that having the one SAE to 50 gallons (with no other "shark type" fish, could lead to a harmonious result.

I had a look at Whiptails (they are some unique looking creatures) and they're definitely on the shortlist for the prospective South American tank. Very cool!

I have bought my second type of fish....

Sarawak Rasbora!

Wet Spot Tropical Fish | Rasboras | Sarawak Rasbora - Rasbora sarawakensis
I've got 12 in my quarantine tank, and they're all doing really well so far (been in there for about 10 days). They looked very washed out through the plastic & lens.

Here's a link to a quick video I took today

I've been planning on adding them to the display tank at around the 3 week mark (provided no issues/infections arise) and that's about a week or so away.

Only thing is that I've spotted some spots on the face of one of my cherry barbs. I've looked into common diseases, and it doesn't look like ich (or anything else I can find).

All of their behaviour is absolutely fine, happy & active as anything. They're all eating well, so no issues there. The Females are still getting chased around a bunch (but not to the point of looking stressed), so I'm planning on quarantining 3 more (as well as the Kuhli Loaches) once the Rasboras have settled into the display tank (also want to make sure that the Cherry Barbs are healthy before adding the Rasboras).

Here are some pictures (and a video)

image_123986672.JPG.202ce2cbb297ce2618ba2256aa48c380.JPG

They're a bit hard to spot through the lens of my iPhone, but they're definitely there. Could that be something bacterial or fungal? Or is it not something to worry about at this stage? Water Parameters are all fine as well, and gave the filter a clean after I saw the spots.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thank you everyone!

image_123986672(1).JPG