What is going on with this shrimp?

Chick-In-Of-TheSea

Update- all the things under her have little eyeballs! It seems she is giving birth but the eggs are in the wrong position. They are not within her swimmerettes where she can manipulate them around. I released her from the breeder box. She told a male to BACK OFF! And then she went and sat on the airstone. She seems to be using the air to reposition her eggs and/or to help her release shrimplets.

She’s upset with the light so I had to turn it off.

Edited by Chick-In-Of-TheSea

It's very difficult to tell what is going on. What I think I'm looking at is a piece of the "undercarriage" on the last molt that is stuck on the bottom of the shrimp and she's unable to fully remove it.

When shrimp are berries they can molt and they can molt all of the eggs off in that process. If the shell wasn't thick enough then potentially it breaks in a weird way and could get stuck.

The light sensitivity and behavior is her indicating high stress. She's trying to say that she's vulnerable and in a tough situation.

Screenshot_20230617-093631.png.8df5b54ee7283d6c70b492abdbec1891.png

When you look at the next couple of photos I see a clear egg shape on the back side, but I Don't know if that color is correct.

Screenshot_20230617-093608.png.1aa3dd4d18563cbef3f27dabdad63a91.png

The usual "advice" is that someone will try to manually remove a bit of the shell or just leave the shrimp. Either method has a very high chance of the the shrimp passing unfortunately. If you accidentally remove something unintentional, the body is compromised, and if they can't move around properly or remove the molt herself, then she's going to end up being too stressed and pass from that.

Fungus on shrimp can be that color and so the texture of what you're seeing is critical here as well. It doesn't look cotton or wool in texture, so I lean towards its being a molt issue. It would look like a simple egg fungus on a fish egg basically.

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea in that first video she is flapping her swimmerets trying hard to get that chunk of stuff off. Try to hold it with a pair of tweezers gently and see what she does. Having that being held might give her the ability to detach herself from it.

If that fungused over (like a bad egg or something) it would also explain what you're seeing.

A little bit of salt + IAL might be useful for recovery if you're able to get that off.

On 6/17/2023 at 10:42 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

I know. They are clear eggshells that have hatched but remained attached to her.

Some still contain shrimplets and have the little eyes inside.

Even just trying to remove eggs on the females that passed was ridiculously tough. Very sticky and they don't come off easily. That whole section of molt hopefully comes off.

At the least, having something for her to hold onto and flick her swimmerets will help as much as you can. Hopefully she's able to eject as need be.

On 6/17/2023 at 1:49 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Even just trying to remove eggs on the females that passed was ridiculously tough. Very sticky and they don't come off easily. That whole section of molt hopefully comes off.

At the least, having something for her to hold onto and flick her swimmerets will help as much as you can. Hopefully she's able to eject as need be.

I just checked in on her. She looks like everyone else except she is berried. All her eggs are tucked where they should be now under the swimmerettes. I believe she utilized the airstone to assist, as she was sitting on it and “situating” last time I checked. Gotta admire her resourcefulness. I don’t see shrimplets but I do see a piece of eggshell here & there. If there are shrimplets, I am sure they are in the sponge filter.

Also 3 molts were in there that I took out. To bring new readers up to date, my tanks are going through a treatment for scutariella japonica, and I must remove molts as soon as I see them.

I am sorry!  I looked at the WRONG shrimp.

I believe shrimp in question is no longer berried. There are several females in there that are the same color as her, so hard to say exactly which one she is. I found eggs or eggshells strewn about.  I don’t know what to make of it.

On 6/17/2023 at 1:49 PM, nabokovfan87 said:

Hopefully she's able to eject as need be.

I guess this is what happened. Never encountered this before. 

F08EA60C-C6A8-4C1E-8C86-DCE55E79AAF9.jpeg

0248C673-A3E6-4511-BF6B-20C90DDD691B.jpeg

60386F8D-812A-471E-AF64-A7D8598F04ED.jpeg