Scarlet Temple

Recently got scarlett temples from the coop. Its been about a month or so and ive supplemented with easy green and root tabs. But the plants seem to rot from roots, leaves fall off and the ones that are still on look discolored and wilted. Ive gotten Anubais and Pogostemon Stellatus Octopus and i cant seem to kill those. Never had a red plant or these temples before so its new for me. What am i doing wrong? Can i save these or do i buy new ones and start over? 

image.jpg

Edited by MannyThakk
  • Like 1

I dont have Co2 set up with mine. Just sponge filter and small powerhead type filter. Stocked with guppies. Its a 20Gal long tank with a 24 in finnex stingray light. Cause its a shallow tank i tend to get alot of green water. Gonna try installing a dimmer switch like ive seen dean do on the co-op channel.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2023 at 3:55 AM, Pepere said:

What are your nitrate levels at?

Scarlet temple likes a lot of light.  Your are growing tall and scraggly. They are working hard to try to get to the light.  Dimming the light isnt likely to help them. Reducing nutrients might reduce green water.  I might try a water change to get nitrates below 20 ppm.

I agree with this. Like most red plants, scarlet temple needs a good amount of light

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/6/2023 at 2:05 PM, Pepere said:

Any idea of phosphate levels?

I dont have anything to test the levels. The co-op said that i wouldnt be able to grow them because i have hard water and how my tank is set up. So they issued me a refund.