Good size grow out tank for baby discus

DiscusLover

On 6/3/2023 at 11:44 PM, DiscusLover said:

I was going to set up a grow-out tank for discus that I plan to get maybe next month, and I plan to get around 8 2 inch discus. Do you guys think 2 10 gallons with 4 in each tank will be a good grow out, or maybe bigger?

I would use a 40 gallon breeder, and plan to move them to a 75 gallon or larger as they grow.

• Like 2

I did 10 right in the 75 they are currently in.  But could see advantages to a smaller tank.  So I agree with Dean, who also has infinitely more experience than me! 

Bare bottom, good food, pound them with clean water.  My biggest suggestion would be to fully commit to the grow out.  Daily, large water changes.  You can get lazier with them in about a year when they're more fully grown.  Nothing is more sad than stunted, weirdly shaped discus.  If you're going to do it... Do it. 

If you don't want do the work, buy a group of adult ones where someone else has done the work. 

Good luck!

• Like 2

On 6/4/2023 at 3:52 AM, Dean’s Fishroom said:

I would use a 40 gallon breeder, and plan to move them to a 75 gallon or larger as they grow.

Thank you for the feedback! Also, I was wondering what stand you use for the two 75-gallon that I have seen in some of the co op videos?

On 6/4/2023 at 4:38 AM, jwcarlson said:

I did 10 right in the 75 they are currently in.  But could see advantages to a smaller tank.  So I agree with Dean, who also has infinitely more experience than me! 

Bare bottom, good food, pound them with clean water.  My biggest suggestion would be to fully commit to the grow out.  Daily, large water changes.  You can get lazier with them in about a year when they're more fully grown.  Nothing is more sad than stunted, weirdly shaped discus.  If you're going to do it... Do it. 

If you don't want do the work, buy a group of adult ones where someone else has done the work. 

Good luck!

I am already used to doing lots of wc esp with the ram and angelfish fry I have raising up right now... 6 90% wc and 10 feedings a day... Tiring but all worth it!

Edited by DiscusLover
  • Like 1