Baby snails covered in white spots

KALgxh

As the header says, I have a bunch of baby snails and a few of them are covered in white spots. They are Japanese trapdoor snails, and I initially bought two adult snails. The female came pregnant and began releasing babies not long after she was put in my 29 gal. About two weeks after that I decided to redo the 29 gal and moved the snails over to my 20 gal. There are only a few blue dream shrimp (about 8 ) in the 20 gal and they are all fine. A few days ago I was checking on my shrimp and noticed one of the babies covered in white spots. It’s all over the foot and the shell, and doesn’t seem to be cause by deficiencies. I tried looking it up but all the articles I found didn’t match. I left it in there overnight hoping it was just dust from an algae wafer but it was still there in the morning so I removed the snail. After I got back from work I noticed another snail covered as well. Both these snails are babies and some of the earliest ones as they are bigger than the rest. Most of the others and the adults don’t have this and I’m not sure if they are sick or I’m just being paranoid. I already culled one baby and I don’t want to do another, but I’m planning on moving the snails back to the 29 gal when it’s finished and it’ll be a community tank so I want to be sure. 

On 6/4/2023 at 5:29 AM, Guppysnail said:

Hi and welcome to the forum. If you can post a photo it would help greatly in determining what is going on. 
Do you happen to have nerite snails with them?  My nerites love laying eggs on other snails. 

Hello and thank you. I only have these trapdoor snails and what I think are ramshorns that came on some plants. The pics below show the white spots I’m talking about, as well as two other babies that are around the same size and doing fine. 

69E08247-DED1-4B5A-BCB4-0739F4F256C1.jpeg

358460E4-0EC9-439B-8438-C485EAE4EF6A.jpeg

4E16663C-B9E3-4704-AD93-66C94B49D326.jpeg

AD7FD3AD-2D63-4997-B32D-743B4DBC1830.jpeg

On 6/4/2023 at 11:53 AM, Guppysnail said:

The white in the foot is its mottle coloration and normal. These are livebearing white wizard snails of mine that show the mottling very clearly. 
The shells go through coloring stages as well. 

ED1EC05E-A039-42AD-8E86-C78A49D89A68.jpeg

Oh okay, that’s a relief. Thank you very much! 

• Like 1