Internal Parasites

Bitty

If you suspect internal parasites wiped out the livestock in a tank, would waiting and doing vacuuming be a good enough treatment for the tank?  it only had a super red and a few guppies and ramshorn snails.  All that's left are the snails.  I want to wait/treat the tank before getting any new livestock.  36g bowfront.  I have levamisole and paraclense on hand.

• Like 1

Most parasites can't survive more than 4weeks without a host what I would do is leave it a minimum of a month with out fish and you could treat with levamisole or paracleanse a week  before adding your new fish just to be on the safe side levamisole can be harmful to some species of snails @Bitty

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/15/2023 at 10:31 PM, Bitty said:

@Colu, if there are ramshorn snails in the tank do they carry the parasites?  Or are they only fish parasites?

Snail can carry parastic larvae and eggs in the fluid they hold in there shells they don't acts as a host for the parasite itself  

On 6/16/2023 at 1:58 AM, Bitty said:

@Colu, so if i let it sit without feeding for 1 month will i be safe to add fish?  I am planning on dosing levamisole maybe a week before that...

I think that will be fine without any ammonia source from ghost feeding you will have to recycle your tank before adding fish