Setting up 10 gallon RCS breeder tank

Monkeypoint

I'm getting my 10 gallon RCS shrimp only tank setup. So far, I've added substrate (mostly inert black sand and about half a 4 lb bag of Stratum I had left over). I've been running it for about 24 hours with an Aqueon HOB carbon filled filter to allow the tank to clear up faster. Meanwhile, I have filter media from my other tank that's been seeding for about 3 months in addition to 2 sponge filters I plan to use (one is a sponge air filter, the other is an intake tube cover so shrimp don't get sucked up). I'm also adding some hardscape and plants from the older tank. So, my question: should I still wait a week or longer to add shrimp, or would it be safe to add them after I have all of the old bacteria-rich media in place? If I don't add anything right away, won't the old bacteria die off from lack of anything to convert?

Here’s what I did with my shrimp tank, what I’m currently doing with my girlfriends shrimp tank, and what I would personally recommend from my experience with shrimp:

-Leave the filters/sponges/whatever to season/seed where they already are. Shrimp have a very minimal bio load, so throwing the sponge(s) in when you put the shrimp in would be recommended. Then, you don’t risk the bacteria dying off with nothing to eat. 

-Set the tank up as you want it, including hardscape and plants, and then wait like 6-8 weeks before adding shrimp. You WANT algae, you WANT biofilms, you WANT life in the tank to help sustain the shrimp. Let the tank come alive and get “dirty” before adding shrimp, and the shrimp will thank you for it. 

Over time, your shrimp will clean up that tank, but you want all that stuff mentioned above for an alive/seasoned tank to sustain the shrimp. 

On 4/10/2023 at 2:20 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Here’s what I did with my shrimp tank, what I’m currently doing with my girlfriends shrimp tank, and what I would personally recommend from my experience with shrimp:

-Leave the filters/sponges/whatever to season/seed where they already are. Shrimp have a very minimal bio load, so throwing the sponge(s) in when you put the shrimp in would be recommended. Then, you don’t risk the bacteria dying off with nothing to eat. 

-Set the tank up as you want it, including hardscape and plants, and then wait like 6-8 weeks before adding shrimp. You WANT algae, you WANT biofilms, you WANT life in the tank to help sustain the shrimp. Let the tank come alive and get “dirty” before adding shrimp, and the shrimp will thank you for it. 

Over time, your shrimp will clean up that tank, but you want all that stuff mentioned above for an alive/seasoned tank to sustain the shrimp. 

This is EXACTLY why I didn't want to move forward without first asking for advice. At the moment, I have baby shrimp in the breeder box inside my other aquarium. They're tiny. I'm about to add the plants and hardscape (also almond leaves and cholla wood). Setting my timer for 8 weeks. Thanks so much for the great advice.

On 4/10/2023 at 2:20 PM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

• Like 1

Wait for 2 months if possible.

the main reason for this is, shrimp constantly pick up on biofilm and algae grows literally on every surface of the tank. I managed to work with 1 month too. I added catappa leaf and alder cones 2 weeks before adding shrimp tho. I believe it helped a bit. 

especially babies, just grow up eating these biofilms. And u mostly end up buying juveniles from the store.

btw, def buy juveniles and not adults if possible. Believe me you will have much higher chance of success

• Like 1

On 4/10/2023 at 3:23 PM, Lennie said:

the main reason for this is, shrimp constantly pick up on biofilm and algae grows literally on every surface of the tank. I managed to work with 1 month too. I added catappa leaf and alder cones 2 weeks before adding shrimp tho. I believe it helped a bit. 

especially babies, just grow up eating these biofilms. And u mostly end up buying juveniles from the store.

btw, def buy juveniles and not adults if possible. Believe me you will have much higher chance of success

On 4/10/2023 at 3:23 PM, Lennie said:

That's the plan!

On 4/10/2023 at 3:53 PM, Lennie said:

Let’s wait together

Great idea! Mine is now set up (substrate, plants, hardscape).

Do you add any ferts? I put some root tabs with the stem plants and plan on adding liquid ferts as well.

How many hours of light do you start with?

And is it safe to add snails, or should I wait?

AHHH - 2 whole months! It's definitely a hobby of patience.

On 4/10/2023 at 4:44 PM, Monkeypoint said:

Do you add any ferts? I put some root tabs with the stem plants and plan on adding liquid ferts as well.

Personally, I would add ferts for the plants. Will also help grow algae, which is what you want. 

All my tanks get 10 hours of light

Snails: Do you have an air stone going? What kind of snails? If I was going to put snails in a tank that’s not cycled and no filtration I would only use “pest snails” and would want oxygen going. Best case scenario they help season your tank and bring it alive. Worst case scenario they die from starvation or poor water quality and if that happens I’d rather lose a couple pest snails than say Nerite or Mystery Snails. 

On 4/11/2023 at 1:44 AM, Monkeypoint said:

Great idea! Mine is now set up (substrate, plants, hardscape).

AHHH - 2 whole months! It's definitely a hobby of patience.

I bet I won't wait 2 months 😄 

I will be using tropica aquasoil. So lots of water changes in the first month. It leeches a lot at the beginning and I usually use root feeder plants so not planning to dose ferts at the beginning. Maybe one pump of trace elements (tropica premium nutrition) but thats it.

I always start with 6 hour lights in my tanks. And increase it to 7 hours after plants settle and perform a pretty good growth, which is about 2 months or so in general. I personally don't like going above 7 hours in any of my tanks.

Snails are good for shrimp. The slime they leave behind as well as their poop is actually nice. But be careful, shrimp are slow eaters, so you may face population issues if you are planning to keep "pest" snails. Many snails can enjoy living in neocaridina parameters, only temp can be a bit of an issue but you may find a way. Except a few like rabbits.

When your tank is cycled, you can introduce snails anytime I believe. They may help consuming decaying plant matter and algae meanwhile helping cycle to keep up. I would wait for nerites tho, if that's your plan. They are naturally grazers, so they really need algae to build up so they can find food in the tank and don't starve to death. I usually wait for some time to introduce nerites to my setups.

The white ghost bees stole my heart, but I haven't fully decided yet. What's your plan? Red cherries? 🙂

On 4/10/2023 at 7:06 PM, Lennie said:

The white ghost bees stole my heart, but I haven't fully decided yet. What's your plan? Red cherries?

So cute!!!! I'm going for RCS.

Thanks so much for all the advice, re: snails, light, and ferts.

I have a little bit of aquasoil (I basically added whatever was left over from a 4 lb bag of Stratum - about 1/2 a bag). The rest is inert black sand.

This is going to be interesting! I'll keep you posted.

• Like 1

On 4/11/2023 at 2:16 AM, Monkeypoint said:

So cute!!!! I'm going for RCS.

Thanks so much for all the advice, re: snails, light, and ferts.

I have a little bit of aquasoil (I basically added whatever was left over from a 4 lb bag of Stratum - about 1/2 a bag). The rest is inert black sand.

This is going to be interesting! I'll keep you posted.

You really don't need active substrate for neocaridinas. It is more of a caridina thingy.

I'm excited for both of us! 

In case you have any question please don't hesitate to contact me. I've kept bloodymarys and orange sakuras. So I may try to help if I know the answer 

cheers,