Mystery Snail Egg Problem

Cinnebuns

I just noticed this happening with one of my purple girls. Her eggs getting stuck maybe?

She did drop down after about 5 to 8 staying in that spot. Pic is of the collection of eggs that dropped with her. 

I noticed the other day she looked like she was up to lay a clutch but in the morning there was nothing. Is egg bound a thing with mystery snails maybe?

At least the guppies in the tank immediately enjoyed their egg treat.

@Guppysnail @Chick-In-Of-TheSea

20230325_231717.jpg

20230325_231736.jpg

20230325_232434.jpg

Edited by Cinnebuns

On 3/26/2023 at 12:23 AM, Guppysnail said:

I have never heard of an egg bound snail. I have seen my girls lay clutches with only like 5 eggs. Usually if they have not been mated for a few months and are just expelling they egg stuff and are older or young girls have done this occasionally. 

She's been in a tank with males for about a month at least. I did notice after she dropped the guppies were kinda picking at her, likely they saw her as the source of their new egg treat, so I put her in a different tank. I've check on her a couple of times in there. She's near the top of the tank but no above the water line. However, that tanks water line is high right now as it usually doesn't have mystery snails in the tank. 

It is worth noting this particular female has never laid a clutch that hatched. Well, kinda. Random snabies pop out earlier than expected but then no further development in any eggs for over a month and then I throw the clutch away.  Even the eggs where tiny snabies do pop out never show development like you expect. They just pop open with a snabie laying there.  Originally I thought it was because I wasn't feeding her enough calcium. But for about a month now I have dropped in a good amount of crab cuisine and some occasional green beans. I'm starting to wonder if she just has some reproductive issues in general. Anyone know a snail OBGYN?

Edited by Cinnebuns

On 3/26/2023 at 6:17 AM, Chick-In-Of-TheSea said:

Update: no, nothing in the guide on this. If I send it to you, can you help me review it also?

Sure of course!

Also, I was just informed that technically any egg laying organism can become egg bound. It's just a matter of how likely and how severe it can get from species to species. 

The source on that however was a person on Facebook who said they work in wildlife but take that for what it is.  

• Sad 1

She's been in the same spot in the tank I put her in since last night. That's not of too much concern considering it's not that atypical for mystery snails plus she's been through something. But I just noticed some stress slime. Im gonna leave her alone for now but I wouldn't be surprised if she's on her way out. She's the last of her siblings so if she is then she can still claim victory that way!  

@Chick-In-Of-TheSea I haven't read the journal yet but i will soon!  Lots of fishy things going on today!

20230326_142056.jpg

• Sad 1