1st time with Black Beard Algae

I’ve been having a heck of a time lately. Just finished up a bad case of Columnaris (spelling) and lost all my Angel Fish. 

Now I’m just seeing Black Beard Algae. Who has experience getting rid of it or what has worked for you. Any help would be appreciated.

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 40ppm

I dose Easy Green 2x a week.

Root Tabs 1x a month.

75 gallon planted tank, there are snails.

image.jpg

Edited by Rewcolee1

You failed to mention how often you water change and how much per change? When was the last time you cleaned your filter, do you have a bubbler/skimmer which help with good gas exchange? Are there a lot of dead organics floating around? Flow, oxygenation and pristine water quality is massively important when it comes to battling ANY type of algae. Having an algae free tank take effort, and involves much more than just dimming your light..

On 3/20/2023 at 9:12 AM, JoeQ said:

You failed to mention how often you water change and how much per change? When was the last time you cleaned your filter, do you have a bubbler/skimmer which help with good gas exchange? Are there a lot of dead organics floating around? Flow, oxygenation and pristine water quality is massively important when it comes to battling ANY type of algae. Having an algae free tank take effort, and involves much more than just dimming your light..

Thanks Joe. I fully understand all of this.

I typically clean the aquarium 1x every 2 weeks at close to a 50% water change. It’s a 75g so I do not need to constantly change the water. There is a bubble and there is currently maybe 1 dead leaf in there as of this morning. There is a UVC hooked up which typically runs 6-8hrs a day.

Over the last 10 days l’ve had to do 4 water changes due to the medicine I had to run and the filter was fully cleaned at this time as well. 

Finally, at no time did say or mention that dimming my light would fix it.

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 9:20 AM, Rewcolee1 said:

Thanks Joe. I fully understand all of this.

I typically clean the aquarium 1x every 2 weeks at close to a 50% water change. It’s a 75g so I do not need to constantly change the water. There is a bubble and there is currently maybe 1 dead leaf in there as of this morning. There is a UVC hooked up which typically runs 6-8hrs a day.

Over the last 10 days l’ve had to do 4 water changes due to the medicine I had to run and the filter was fully cleaned at this time as well. 

Finally, at no time did say or mention that dimming my light would fix it.

I'm referring to the only response which mentioned your light. The black beard on plants is a huge indication of poor plant growth, id focus on plant growth. Maybe the cycle interruption opened the door for algea to take over and will self correct. 

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 9:31 AM, JoeQ said:

I'm referring to the only response which mentioned your light. The black beard on plants is a huge indication of poor plant growth, id focus on plant growth. Maybe the cycle interruption opened the door for algea to take over and will self correct. 

This could certainly be a possibility. This Windelov has never really grown well regardless of what I try to do. The Crinum that I posted is right next to it. 

Sorry for the misinterpretation of your original post.

image.jpg

On 3/20/2023 at 9:31 AM, Miska said:

I have heard that otos are algae eating machines. I am trying to get some for my tanks. Have you thought about them? Plus they are SOOOO cute. 

Although I don’t have any currently, I have kept them in the past. They are great little fish!

• Like 1

On 3/20/2023 at 9:39 AM, Rewcolee1 said:

This could certainly be a possibility. This Windelov has never really grown well regardless of what I try to do. The Crinum that I posted is right next to it

Windelov is a potassium hog! Mine never really grew till I started dosing Potassium directly on top of it. You also might want to up your dose of ez green, see if you can get a little more growth going. 

• Thanks 1

On 3/20/2023 at 9:31 AM, Miska said:

I have heard that otos are algae eating machines. I am trying to get some for my tanks. Have you thought about them? Plus they are SOOOO cute. 

Great little fish, they wont touch black beard but are great leaf/glass cleaners! I originally bought 2 for my 10 gallon and 3 for my 36 gallon, but as of now im down to 1 in each tank..... FYI, be prepared to supplement, im pretty sure the survivors out competed the competition... 

Edited by JoeQ
  • Like 1