Newbie since november

Alex j

Hi there. Had bettas in the past in bowls but wanted to get another one and actually get a tank/filter etc this time. Started out with a 2.5 g aqueon mini bow for my koi betta. Oh ya and just had to get the 5g mini bow for 3 harlequin rasboroa 2 shrimp and a julii cory. That's when I started getting into live plants. Been doing a ton of research since then. As of now I'm setting up my new fluval spec v to upgrade my betta. I like the filtration on the spec v and it's a nice looking tank and like the led light that came with it. Had fun aquascaping too. At this point I'm not too fond of the aqueon mini bow anymore since there's not too much room for alot of filter mods. Which I'm wondering if anyone has one of those tanks with a different hob filter?

20230315_174128.jpg

• Like 1
  • Love 1

On 3/18/2023 at 8:24 PM, John Henry said:

Welcome @Alex j, glad to have you onboard.  Question for you about your Spec V, does the light have any dimmable settings and are you able to connect the light to a timer and keep the filter running?

The light just has 3 settings. Bright white moonlight and off. The light and filter are 2 separate plugs so the filter always running. I'm pretty sure u can get a wifi plug for the light to have it on a timer. 

On 3/18/2023 at 8:28 PM, Theplatymaster said:

how many gallons is this tank?

It's a 5 gallon 

• Thanks 1

@Alex j When I was watching Green Aqua's general scape video, it was adviced to place dragonstones in a way that the holes of them generally looking at the same direction.

I just wanted to share. I'm tagging the related part of the video for you down below.

It is your tank and your liking ofc. Just wanted to share what I've learnt 2 days ago!

• Thanks 1

On 3/19/2023 at 3:28 AM, Lennie said:

@Alex j When I was watching Green Aqua's general scape video, it was adviced to place dragonstones in a way that the holes of them generally looking at the same direction.

I just wanted to share. I'm tagging the related part of the video for you down below.

It is your tank and your liking ofc. Just wanted to share what I've learnt 2 days ago!

Ohh so the stone on the left side laying down shld be standing up with the others? That was my original setting but kept switching in and wanted to make like Pathways and a valley (small stones around dragon stone on rite side with crypts around it to make nice hidden pathway wen the crypts fill in)

On 3/19/2023 at 11:58 AM, Alex j said:

Ohh so the stone on the left side laying down shld be standing up with the others? That was my original setting but kept switching in and wanted to make like Pathways and a valley (small stones around dragon stone on rite side with crypts around it to make nice hidden pathway wen the crypts fill in)

That's also what I understand from the video. But I just wanted to share to give you an idea about the recommendations I've seen a couple days ago.

You should enjoy scaping your tank in the way you want for sure. You are the one looking at it everyday. Design it in the way you like it the most!

On 3/19/2023 at 7:03 AM, Lennie said:

That's also what I understand from the video. But I just wanted to share to give you an idea about the recommendations I've seen a couple days ago.

You should enjoy scaping your tank in the way you want for sure. You are the one looking at it everyday. Design it in the way you like it the most!

I'm sure once the plants grow bustier it'll look better. Was planning hidden valleyways for future fish lol. I did have to trim some crypt leaves due to melt 😢 but I do see new leaves coming up

On 3/19/2023 at 7:17 AM, Alex j said:

I'm sure once the plants grow bustier it'll look better. Was planning hidden valleyways for future fish lol. I did have to trim some crypt leaves due to melt 😢 but I do see new leaves coming up

Oops typo I meant to say wen they grow bushy