RO/DI water. Trying to convert "dH 10-15" to (GH)ppm and KH(ppm) and am very confused. Please help

KittenFishMom

I have RO/DI water. 2 tanks have potting soil under a sand cap. The 3rd is just sand substrate, not potting soil.

I'm using SeaChem Equilibrium, Acid Buffer and Alkaline Buffer to remineralize the water.

I went to AqAdvisor.com and entered my fish, shrimp, and snails and they recommend:

"Recommended pH range: 7 - 7.5.
Recommended hardness range: 10 - 15 dH."

How do I convert "10 - 15 dH" to "(GH)ppm" and "(KH)ppm" which are on my ACO water test strips?

I could not find anything on how to convert it using Google. 

I also want to be sure I have the right amount of calcium in the water for the adult shrimp, the growing shrimp fry and the growing cory fry. AqAdvisor does not seem to address calcium at all.

Should I stay with Seachem, or switch for a different company to do this remineralization ? I was using Salty Shrimp GH/KH+ in the shrimp tank, but I would like to add shrimp to all the tanks.

I am getting close to needing to order chemicals, and want to order the right ones.

Thanks so much ! ! !

On 3/14/2023 at 1:39 PM, KittenFishMom said:

So if I am looking for 10-15 dH that would be  178 - 267ppm.  Now, how do I translate that to (GH)ppm and (KH)ppm on the test strips?

A couple of caveats here....

In my tank I just tested TDS this morning.  I can't say whether its one or the other, but my own variables may help you to understand how to view it. 

A.  There is a formula for converting degrees of hardness to ppm, that's where you have the 10-15 converting to 178-267.
B.  TDS is just a thing, doesn't mean anything outside of what the particles are in the water. It could be literally anything.
C.  GH is more specific than KH, but both would show up as TDS.

My TDS in the tank tested 270 (other parameters below).  My PH is 7, my KH is 60-80, my GH ranges from 150 all the way up to 400 on any given week.  Water company is doing some things.

Temp: 71.6
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 5-10  (I'll dose ferts tomorrow)
KH: 70-80
GH: 150 gh
PH: 7.0

Ultimately, you can't really determine what is in the water from TDS alone.  You need to test KH and GH by themselves.

On 3/14/2023 at 1:21 PM, KittenFishMom said:

I'm using SeaChem Equilibrium, Acid Buffer and Alkaline Buffer to remineralize the water.

Equilibrium directly relates to your GH increasing.
Acid buffer directly relates to your KH and PH decreasing.
Alkaline buffer directly relates to your KH and PH Increasing.

They have two forms of a calculator on their pages on their website, one is a chart, the other would be where you enter your tank parameters and get an idea of what to dose in.

https://www.seachem.com/alkaline-buffer.php#tabsNavigationSimple2

image.png.86c33b17ca2ce1ff9c47b56e5288d7bf.png

When I started buffering mine, this is the method I used.  I only use alkalinity buffer.  If I overdose, then you'd use acid buffer to bring it back down.

image.png.9f8a960f0e2fdeaa51ec0e821cc3f89d.png

Please feel free to ask more questions.  Hopefully we can get clarity on everything for you!

Edited by nabokovfan87
added video
  • Thanks 1

On 3/14/2023 at 1:21 PM, KittenFishMom said:

How do I convert "10 - 15 dH" to "(GH)ppm" and "(KH)ppm" which are on my ACO water test strips?

I could not find anything on how to convert it using Google. 

You multiply the degrees of hardness to 17.86 to get ppm. 

You divide the ppm to 17.86 to get degrees of hardness.

This applies for both GH and KH.

You don't need an acid buffer if you're using pure RODI water. At that point you have 0 GH and 0 KH, and you need to build up. Your ph will rise as your KH rises.

• Thanks 1