Too Hot for Mystery Snail?

Louise02

82F is hot for most fish and inverts. There are rarely fish and snails that enjoy these temps. Like GBR/discus or rabbit snails.

Both of my nerites and mysterys usually spend time at the top on the water line from time to time. Mystery snails usually use their siphon to breathe on top, and nerites like to eat white residue on top of the glass.

But it can be a sign of something going wrong as well. Only way to tell is testing the water. Also why is temp so high? 74F is the ideal number for mystery snails.

high temp means fast growth, weak shell, much more active snail and needs more food in general. Shorter lifespan. anything above 77F/78F starts being far from ideal for mysterys I would say.

I can't imagine a mystery snail and a nerite in a 2.5g tho. It would take 10 second for mystery snail to complete a whole tour in that tank

Mystery snails have a big bioload. It might have messed up with your water parameters. What are the test results? Is the tank cycled?

On 3/11/2023 at 1:02 PM, Lennie said:

82F is hot for most fish and inverts. There are rarely fish and snails that enjoy these temps. Like GBR/discus or rabbit snails.

Both of my nerites and mysterys usually spend time at the top on the water line from time to time. Mystery snails usually use their siphon to breathe on top, and nerites like to eat white residue on top of the glass.

But it can be a sign of something going wrong as well. Only way to tell is testing the water. Also why is temp so high? 74F is the ideal number for mystery snails.

high temp means fast growth, weak shell, much more active snail and needs more food in general. Shorter lifespan. anything above 77F/78F starts being far from ideal for mysterys I would say.

I can't imagine a mystery snail and a nerite in a 2.5g tho. It would take 10 second for mystery snail to complete a whole tour in that tank

Mystery snails have a big bioload. It might have messed up with your water parameters. What are the test results? Is the tank cycled?

Lennie, thank you!  That was all helpful.  This arrangement is temporary.  We have four aquariums, and the Mystery Snail will definitely move back to a larger tank next week.  We had an outbreak of ick, which meant that I had to make temporary arrangements to keep everybody alive.  I *think* that I have fixed the temp problem in the 2.5.  I will use the info that you gave me as I move forward.  Thank you!

BTW, I am supplementing the snails' diet with additional snail foods.

If you need any further help with snails info, please don’t hesitate to ask.

the only problem I can think of is nerites being natural grazers and hardly accepting food and veggies. So they might  starve if there is no natural food growth in the tank. Maybe keep lights on for a long period to provide at least some algae growth and dose a bit of liquid ferts?

also in case it is an emergency setup, and dont have a cycled sponge in the tank, with mystery snail bioload, 2.5g might reach toxic ammonia levels super quick. Which explains them staying on top

are you using ich-x to treat your tanks?

@Colu is Ich-X not snail safe?

Edited by Lennie

On 3/12/2023 at 1:46 AM, Lennie said:

If you need any further help with snails info, please don’t hesitate to ask.

the only problem I can think of is nerites being natural grazers and hardly accepting food and veggies. So they might  starve if there is no natural food growth in the tank. Maybe keep lights on for a long period to provide at least some algae growth and dose a bit of liquid ferts?

also in case it is an emergency setup, and dont have a cycled sponge in the tank, with mystery snail bioload, 2.5g might reach toxic ammonia levels super quick. Which explains them staying on top

are you using ich-x to treat your tanks?

@Colu is Ich-X not snail safe?

Thank you.  The tank has been running for about three years, so it is cycled.  We are trying to keep that 2.5 gallon running a little cooler.  We'll move the Mystery as soon as we can.  The trouble is that the betta I have is the ONLY fish that doesn't pick on him.  He was out and about in the tank today; he is looking well now.  Thank you for the help!!!

On 3/14/2023 at 8:03 AM, Louise02 said:

Thank you.  The tank has been running for about three years, so it is cycled.  We are trying to keep that 2.5 gallon running a little cooler.  We'll move the Mystery as soon as we can.  The trouble is that the betta I have is the ONLY fish that doesn't pick on him.  He was out and about in the tank today; he is looking well now.  Thank you for the help!!!

Ouch! Good thing you have seperated them then.

those long antennas can be really tempting for fish. If their antennas get injured, they can get depressed and die, as their vision is pretty bad in general and their whole action is mostly based on their antennas!

Def good thing you have seperated them.

I would be suspicious about bettas too. I would suggest to at least observe very closely, bettas have a reputation to show interest in snail antennas or shrimp in general. Just to be cautious! 

hope your fish friends can make it through the disease asap :(

• Like 1