Cross Contamination

CJs Aquatics

Throughout the past few weeks I have seen a number of different diseases creep up. I’ll preface by saying like all fishkeepers I’ve encountered things in the past but for some reason as of lately things have been out of control. It seems like everytime I treat something something else is popping up. I’ll give a few examples: I had a pufferfish randomly develop what I believe to be a bad cloudy eye of some sort. It’s getting better finally probably 2 weeks into it but from there I noticed the other fish in the tank seemed to have anchor worms and possible epistylis. Ive never dealt with those but am clearing things up I think everyone will get a clean bill of health soon. Years ago I lost mutt guppies one by one in my large mutt tank without much warning. Looking back I think it was columnaris. That took a long time but the tank has been stable now for quite a while, I felt it was finally ok. Then randomly lost 2 plecos. These fish came from the same place, no warning, came with a 3rd, and had all been in the tank for probably a year. The 3rd is living her best life. When I lost them it was just went from fine to dead. Woke up today and seen what I believe to be ich on a platy. Never dealt with most of this. Some of the livestock have changed, foods have changed, but all of the parameters have remained the same in most of my tanks. I guess I should mention it is various tanks being effected, completely seperate from one another. It appears to be one thing after another. It’s getting very expensive and slightly disheartening as I’ve kept fish without issues for many years now then all of a sudden it seems like everything starts to have something going on. I’m sorry this is a long post, however I need some advice on getting a bit of a handle on things. The only thing I can think of is things were present already and are for some reason exhibiting in different tanks now. Perhaps some traveled via nets and I should quarantine nets in bleach or something? I really don’t know what route to take, I have meds on hand, but the fact that multiple tanks are being effected with various things is worrisome so I thought I would ask the experts. Everything is clearing up when I finish treating but then it’s like something else shows up that I’ve never dealt with. Any helpful advice is welcome it’s odd to me as I’ve kept fish for so long with minimal issue that now all of a sudden every issue there is has shown up…

You can steriliser nets with a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution you can also add a pump to your siphon hose and leave it running in a bucket with a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution for 24hr  also I would have a separate bucket and net for each tank if you can to avoid cross contamination usually when  multiple tanks are having out  breaks of disease it's usually caused by a combination of things such poor water quality  kept in to low temperature stress weakening the immune system leading to secondary infections poor nutrition if your food has been open for more then 3months it can lose a lot of it nutritional value in that time that can lead to nutritional deficiencies in your fish making then more like to suffer from disease I would got thought process of elimination making sure nothing wrong with your water parameters check your temperature fine check what your feeding and see if theirs any other factors that could be causing stress such as over crowding or bullying by other fish have you got adequate filtration on your tanks     @CJs Aquatics

Edited by Colu
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1