Options, opinions?

SugarBassJoe

Since moving a tank to the office and thanks to the 1/2 off sale I'm able to expand a little bit, I've picked up a few tanks and now have a open 20L, but now I'm losing my mind on what id like to do next. I've narrowed my list to Rams, another Apisto. species or perhaps another species of Killifish. I think I'm still in a cichlid phase since I'm leaning towards them, either GBR's or Apisto. Agissizii, I'm aware of the extra requirements of the Rams, so I don't know if ill go that route since I don't like to mix RO water with tap (prefer to use straight tap) but since I'm in no rush, wanted to post this for others opinions and suggestions on anything I overlooked or didn't consider on either different fish or care requirements.

this will seem simple, but have you considered platies?

In my opinion you can get nice cichlid like group behaviours out of them if you have  a large group, you can get many colors, you can have a billion, they are cheap and easy to find, they will pick at hair algae, extremely hardy

• Like 1

Go with the fish and set up you’ll enjoy the most! I struggle with the same thing. Maybe I’ll do this! No, maybe this! Nah, let’s try that! When I’m in that phase it tells me that I need to keep thinking and narrowing down exactly what I want to do. 

The worst thing you could do is rush a decision just because you have the open tank and then wish you did the other thing. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

My LFS carry many apistos. When I was checking theapisto tanks, apisto agassizi fire reds were literally shining like a star in their tank between others.

If I didn't have shrimp in my tank, those would be an instabuy for me there. I was so impressed by their look.

Starting a new tank is always fun! Excited to see what you will end up with

Golden rams would be my second choice. I really like their pearl looking skin and colors.

• Like 1

On 3/7/2023 at 7:43 AM, Theplatymaster said:

this will seem simple, but have you considered platies?

In my opinion you can get nice cichlid like group behaviours out of them if you have  a large group, you can get many colors, you can have a billion, they are cheap and easy to find, they will pick at hair algae, extremely hardy

While I do want a few more tanks of live bearers eventually, I've already done most of them already, and have a colony of guppies at the moment, its not that I don't enjoy them, I'm just looking to broaden my resume at the moment.

On 3/7/2023 at 7:49 AM, AllFishNoBrakes said:

Go with the fish and set up you’ll enjoy the most! I struggle with the same thing. Maybe I’ll do this! No, maybe this! Nah, let’s try that! When I’m in that phase it tells me that I need to keep thinking and narrowing down exactly what I want to do. 

The worst thing you could do is rush a decision just because you have the open tank and then wish you did the other thing. 

Totally agree, hence my post, been asking everyone and pouring through videos and articles researching my options.

On 3/7/2023 at 8:04 AM, Lennie said:

My LFS carry many apistos. When I was checking theapisto tanks, apisto agassizi fire reds were literally shining like a star in their tank between others.

If I didn't have shrimp in my tank, those would be an instabuy for me there. I was so impressed by their look.

Starting a new tank is always fun! Excited to see what you will end up with

Golden rams would be my second choice. I really like their pearl looking skin and colors.

The Fire Reds also catch my eye, love the flame shape of their tail fins.

On 3/7/2023 at 9:37 AM, knee said:

African Butterfly cichlids are another option. They stay small and aren't too aggressive.

Have you tested your tap water? 

Haven't considered those, I don't know why but I tend to gravitate to new world cichlids for whatever reason, according to test strips my water is at

Nitrates-0

Nitrite-0

GH-300+ (its literally off the charts)

KH-approx. 70

PH- approx. 8.0

I've gotten these number both before and after off gassing my water.