Rosy barb question, along with gravel question ?

FishyGirl

Are rosy barbs fin nippers? 
how many pounds of gravel per gallon of water 

and another question slash comment I am going to list the fish I am planning on getting, I think from the research I have done they should go well together but if not I would love to hear what to change, also if any other cool fish to add to the mix would be great as well.

8 Rosy Barbs

10 leopard danios 

3 honey guarmi 

1 Bolivian ram

7 Kuhli loaches 

1 hill stream loach 

On 3/5/2023 at 9:19 PM, FishyGirl said:

8 Rosy Barbs

10 leopard danios 

3 honey guarmi 

1 Bolivian ram

7 Kuhli loaches 

1 hill stream loach 

Cooler temp: 72-74 degrees
-barbs
-danios
-hillstream loaches

Warmer temp: 78-80 degrees
-Kuhli loaches
-Gourami
-Rams

I would choose one of those or split them into two separate tanks.

I think the common advice is 1 lb per gallon.  depending on what you're using (whatever company).  They should have a calculator you can use to figure out how many bags to buy.  If you want 1, 2, or 3" deep substrate, enter in the tank dimensions, etc.

I think most barbs can be. 

Edited by nabokovfan87
  • Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 8:19 AM, FishyGirl said:

and another question slash comment I am going to list the fish I am planning on getting, I think from the research I have done they should go well together but if not I would love to hear what to change, also if any other cool fish to add to the mix would be great as well.

8 Rosy Barbs

10 leopard danios 

3 honey guarmi 

1 Bolivian ram

7 Kuhli loaches 

1 hill stream loach 

Rosy barbs are fin nipers. Fish don't get these reputation out of nowhere mostly. Some people may not face any issues, but others facing it is enough to see it as a potential worrisome in my opinion.

It was a 75 gallon right?

Honey gouramis are shy eaters. They are slow at going for food, and can be easily outcompeted by super fast eaters like danios, especially considering danios spend lots of time on the upper side of the tank and may reach food directly.

Some fish you mention like cooler temps: such as danios and hill stream loach, meanwhile others such as gourami or kuhlis enjoy tropical ranges.

What I would suggest is, decide what fish you wanna keep the most.

After deciding on what makes you willing to set up a fresh new tank, try building a setup around your fav fish. That generally works the best, in my opinion.

If you share your favorite fish out of these all, it may be better to come with some new suggestions as tank mates!

What I would also do is, instead of two different schools, I would personally do a big one that performs a good schooling behavior. Like rummynose tetras for example. They school tightly and you can enjoy them going everywhere all together in a 75g and let them show their schooling behavior in a big group, instead of two small groups of different schooling/schoaling fish.

Definitely have fallen most for the honey gouramis and the Kuhli loaches, I will be sad to give up the leopard danios but maybe I will start a smaller tank with them in it. What type of fish could I put in with honey gouramis, Kuhli loaches and Bolivian rams 

On 3/6/2023 at 8:03 AM, FishyGirl said:

Definitely have fallen most for the honey gouramis and the Kuhli loaches, I will be sad to give up the leopard danios but maybe I will start a smaller tank with them in it. What type of fish could I put in with honey gouramis, Kuhli loaches and Bolivian rams 

Most tetras will do well at that temp range.

On 3/6/2023 at 1:07 PM, FishyGirl said:

Could I maybe throw in an  angel fish, or an angelicas loach? Maybe some golden rams?

I don't know about the angel, probably will work, but just keep in mind they do get a big tank bossy sometimes.

Golden rams are a color form of german blue rams that like higher temps than most bolivians.  78-80 I think is the norm for bolivians, but I'm sure some keep them slightly higher.  German blue rams, gold rams, dark knight rams, black rams are all forms of the GBR.   This is the care guide I'd recommend for them.

On 3/6/2023 at 5:22 PM, FishyGirl said:

And one more question! I am stuck between getting a canister filter or a hang on back filter, pros and cons? Which one would u recommend?

I’d say canister for tanks bigger than 20g and HOB for 20g or smaller (but I do run a canister on my 20 long). 

One of the things for me is that I know that I’ll be upgrading a tank that I have setup. Even if I tell myself that I won’t upgrade, it still happens eventually 😬

Having a canister filter allows me to upgrade a tank without worrying about the filter being able to handle more water. Also room for more media which is always helpful if you get more fish.