"Season the tank" start by growing plants - how fast is safe?

Hey all,

I'm starting a tank trying the "add plants and get stuff to grow" method described in the video below. I always did fishless cycle in the past.

What I'm not sure of is how fast I can go and have it really be safe for fish?

I set up with plants and EcoComplete substrate last weekend. Added 2 doses of Easy Green this week. I also got some driftwood.

It's only been a week and I've got what I think is hair algae and it looks like my water sprite is growing. Other plants seem happy but not noticeably changed.

Is it really already safe to add fish? Stuff is definitely growing, but it's so soon after starting! I just tested the water parameters and other than being a little soft it seems safe: 0 Nitrate, 0 Nitrite, ~50 GH, 40-60 buffer, ~6.8 pH, 0 chlorine. I haven't changed the water yet.

It's a 10gal and I am planning to add a betta, Amano shrimp, and a nerite snail. I'm getting a Wonder Shell too since the water is so soft.

Thanks!

One thing you don't mention is putting in a source of ammonia to the tank.  In a planted tank ammonia will be removed via uptake by plants and oxidation by nitrifying bacteria.  Once you add livestock and start feeding you have now put an ammonia source in the tank (protein in the food gets converted to ammonia by the livestock as well as bacteria in the tank).  If you tank is heavily planted enough and you have fast enough plant growth its possible that all the ammonia will be consumed by the plants and you will not have any detectable concentrations of ammonia in your tank.  I can't tell you how many plants this takes but I know it's not a commonly accepted sole method of ammonia removal in an aquarium.  What you are missing in your tank right now is the nitrifying bacteria.  Since you have never put in an ammonia source the ammonia oxidizing bacteria (AOB) and nitrite oxidizing bacteria (NOB) have never had a chance to start growing.  The good news is if you put an ammonia source in now (fish food, ammonium chloride made for this express purpose, ammonia solution from Walmart, etc.) you will have a jump start on having AOB and NOB in your aquarium because they came in on the plants.  Until you add a source of ammonia your ammonia and nitrite concentrations will be zero but that does not indicate a safe cycled tank.  ACO decided to use nitrate in Easy Green as the nitrogen source instead of an ammonia or urea nitrogen source.  I'm guessing they did this because Easy Green is meant for all levels of fish keepers and it's incredibly difficult to overdose on nitrate to dangerous levels while overdosing on ammonia to dangerous levels is much easier.

Can you possibly add a picture of your tank?

I would wait until you get more algae/biofilm before you add snails or shrimp (especially shrimp). Not sure how densley planted your tank is, but some bettas can be jerks, so you'll want plenty of plant cover for your snails and shrimp as well. I think the betta would be fine to add right now as long as you don't over feed. 

• Like 1

On 3/5/2023 at 4:09 PM, egruttum said:

One thing you don't mention is putting in a source of ammonia to the tank.  In a planted tank ammonia will be removed via uptake by plants and oxidation by nitrifying bacteria.  Once you add livestock and start feeding you have now put an ammonia source in the tank (protein in the food gets converted to ammonia by the livestock as well as bacteria in the tank).  If you tank is heavily planted enough and you have fast enough plant growth its possible that all the ammonia will be consumed by the plants and you will not have any detectable concentrations of ammonia in your tank.  I can't tell you how many plants this takes but I know it's not a commonly accepted sole method of ammonia removal in an aquarium.  What you are missing in your tank right now is the nitrifying bacteria.  Since you have never put in an ammonia source the ammonia oxidizing bacteria (AOB) and nitrite oxidizing bacteria (NOB) have never had a chance to start growing.  The good news is if you put an ammonia source in now (fish food, ammonium chloride made for this express purpose, ammonia solution from Walmart, etc.) you will have a jump start on having AOB and NOB in your aquarium because they came in on the plants.  Until you add a source of ammonia your ammonia and nitrite concentrations will be zero but that does not indicate a safe cycled tank.  ACO decided to use nitrate in Easy Green as the nitrogen source instead of an ammonia or urea nitrogen source.  I'm guessing they did this because Easy Green is meant for all levels of fish keepers and it's incredibly difficult to overdose on nitrate to dangerous levels while overdosing on ammonia to dangerous levels is much easier.

Thank you, I feel foolish for forgetting the ammonia nitrifying step. I'll do that and make sure I've got enough bacteria going. Thank you for pointing this out.

On 3/6/2023 at 12:42 PM, Ogpulchra2 said:

Can you possibly add a picture of your tank?

I would wait until you get more algae/biofilm before you add snails or shrimp (especially shrimp). Not sure how densley planted your tank is, but some bettas can be jerks, so you'll want plenty of plant cover for your snails and shrimp as well. I think the betta would be fine to add right now as long as you don't over feed. 

I'm checking in quickly on my break but I'll try to get a photo up later. I'm going for plants and hiding spots and picked Amanos since they're relatively large, hoping that'll deter the betta. Maybe I'll get the betta first and try to get a sense for whether he's chill or grumpy.