Otocinclus - Feeding in Quarantine Tank

RichNJ

I have a 10G QT tank ready to go with a seasoned/cycled sponge filter.  I'd like to isolate a 12+ otos for quarantine, and will then divide them up across different tanks (one of which has 4 otos already).  

I have some stem plants clippings floating in there to absorb nitrate, but are also covered algae and biofilm for the otos to eat.  I also plan on dropping in amazon sword leave clippings every so often for them to graze on.  Other than that, the QT doesn't have much algae, but I do have it in direct sun.

My question is - what are your thoughts on food for otos in a QT?  I'll supplement with little rapashy nuggets, algae wafers, and the sword clippings.  But is this enough?

On 2/28/2023 at 2:50 PM, Colu said:

If you have some pieces of wood covered in biofilm you could transfer to the quarantine tank every couple of days replace the piece of wood with another piece 

@Coluyes, thanks, i figured the amazon sword clippings would do that.  Usually I trim back a bit in my 55g and discard to thin it out.  I figured I'd just drop them in the QT instead and replace one or two every few days.

On 2/28/2023 at 10:13 PM, RichNJ said:

I'll supplement with little rapashy nuggets, algae wafers, and the sword clippings.  But is this enough?

I think it depends on if they will accept any of these. There is no certain way to say. I would consider blanched zucchini and spinach to that list.

Otherwise, in general, I find it hard to quarantine grazers like hillstreams, borneos and ottos due to their needs of grazing stuff that naturally grows in a tank nonstop. I feel like 12 ottos would devour everything in a couple days in a 10g, as they eat diatoms, soft green algae and biofilm. And as far as I know, supplying good amount of biofilm in a tank may take months of running fish tank. Especially ottos are harder to feed, as they are generally starving at the point they end up in home tanks, and harder to make them get used to other food.

Would it be high risk to not quarantine natural grazers like otos or hillstreams if they show no visible sign of sickness? What do you think? @Colu

Edited by Lennie

On 2/28/2023 at 8:23 PM, Lennie said:

Would it be high risk to not quarantine natural grazers like otos or hillstreams if they show no visible sign of sickness? What do you think? @Colu

Most Otto's are wild caught I would always recommend quarantining them and treating for parasites preferably In a well seasoned tank if that isn't an option you could leave rocks or wood under a bright light or in a tub out side to grow biofilm and add new piece's each day to the tank 

Edited by Colu
  • Like 1

@Colu@LennieAlright, so my current thoughts are to maybe not go all in with the Otos on a brand new QT.  Rather just add a few Otos to the QT with another species or two I was planning on adding after quarantining the Otos.  So sort of reverse my order, and new more otos later after more biofilm and algae takes hold.

Trying to avoid getting 12+ otos, and accidentally starving them if they don't take to the supplemental foods that much (or if I can't keep up with the supplemental food).

Edited by RichNJ