First experience with CO2

JJenna

I had a credit from Buce Plant for plants damaged during shipping. Of course, that credit was burning a hole in my pocket. What did I spend it on? The Neo CO2 diy kit. I want to see the differences the  CO2 has on plant development and how they change. It was a fast setup and I was worried that a kink in the tubing might have split the tubing but it didn't. The time for the CO2 to generate took longer than stated, 2 hours vs 1 hour stated. This was likely due to the water I added to the yeast might have been a bit chilly and it took time for the yeast to bloom. I used two packets of yeast as Aquario site stated that this kit is for up to 30 gallon tanks and I have a 40. When it's time to recharge, I'm going to weigh the yeast and only use 1.5 of the packets vs 2. 

I have a lot of slow-growing plants in the tank. You can't see them in the picture but there's also spiral val that has pretty much stopped at 3 inches high (after the 14" height that melted away after planting). They have been in the tank for about a month. I've read that they are fairly fast growers but that hasn't been the case with me. The two new plants are Ludwigia Arcuata and Hydrocotyle Sibthorpiodes which I planted at the back and more under the light

Right now I am pleased with the lighting level, 2-4 hour periods of high-intensity light with 4-hour siesta between. Algae on the plants are pretty minimal and the shrimp keep it in check.  I'm not looking to see what effect CO2 has on algae. I use EG, Seachem Trace, Seachem Iron, and root tabs at the recommended dosing. 

image.jpeg.e610fff50b6999ad9164df06884ba1f6.jpeg

On 2/25/2023 at 12:45 PM, Darax said:

How are you controlling when and how much CO2 is being infused? 

The downside of this DIY is it can't be controlled. I know it's imperfect when compared to a normal setup, but it will give me info on whether I want to continue to use CO2 or just when giving new plants a boost.