Some useful, But Not So Well Known Tips On Platy care.

Theplatymaster

@Plantdudei saw your post a decided to do a bigger thing of tips:

Note: this is from my experience, but please tell me if you've had different results.

1.1m 2f is great, but make sure the females are similar sized to each other, or the male. Otherwise the male will only follow around the female closest to his size, meaning the extra female to reduce aggression is proved useless.

2.I cannot emphasize this enough, platies are OMNIVORES. i have had platies eat a stem plant when i wasnt feeding them such good vegetable content

3. platies are often considered "very peaceful" the males will fight. I have seen 2 versions on this;

a.the dominant male chases the other male around

or

b.they will swim in circles at each other, taking nips.

however i have not observed any damage done of these spars, but just a warning.

4. this is an obvious one, but be prepared for a population boom, they breed, and the fry are suprisingly fast. ( i should know, ive tried to catch them before).

5.platies are often added to a tank as a fun addition, but a mostly platy tank can be REALLY fun to watch, while they have the size of a tetra, they have the social interactions of a cichlid, give a platy based community tank a try, you wont regret it. (if you do we cannot be friends 😄)

• Like 4

On 2/21/2023 at 7:44 PM, Theplatymaster said:

I cannot emphasize this enough, platies are OMNIVORES. i have had platies eat a stem plant when i wasnt feeding them such good vegetable content

that is really good too know! what is the best way to give them veg?