sit a 2-1/2 gallon on top of a 10 gallon

Jabberjaw

I need to maximize space in my fish room. Is it possible to put a 2-1/2 gallon tank sideways on top of a 10 gallon tank? have it sit on the rim of the 10 gallon? I'm running out of rack space. i have my breeders in separate tanks from the fry, but i can fit more tanks on the rack if i can double up and put the breeder's 2-1/2 gallon tank on top of the 10 their fry is in. bad idea? Everything is on a central sump, so I don't have to worry about moving the filtration, i'd just have to extend the tubes a few inches. What does anyone think?

2.5 gallon tank filled weighs like 30 lbs and 10g have very thin glass. 10 probably would not hold that much weight on top. Even if it did, I'd bet the seals would fail down the line. Adding in some dividers on the 10s would be a better option. 

Dont' know what your setup looks like in order to offer any better advice. Pic would be helpful. with approximate dimensions. like heights of the rack space between the top of the 10s and the bottom of the next shelf up.

• Like 1