Crushed Coral & Mystery Snails

Louise02

We were watching some of Cory's molly videos.  He suggests crushed coral for substrate.  That sounds like a good idea, but I am rethinking putting larger snails and the female betta in with that substate.  Wouldn't that be too sharp for mystery snails and bettas?  Which brings me to my next question....which kinds of bottom dwellers and tank cleaners would you add to a molly tank? or do you let the mollies handle the clean-up themselves?  

I keep mystery snails in several tanks with sand mixed with crushed coral and haven't had any issues. I prefer to put the crushed coral in a filter media bag in my HOB filter though. Then I don't have to worry about it. 

I think with live bearers you can kinda keep them with any bottom dwellers you want. I have corys + bristelnose plecos in my swordtail tank and khuli loaches + otos in my platy tank. 

What are your water parameters afterall?

I believe you should first test your water parameters and then decide to add anything that will affect it in a way.

Maybe your water already covers the needs of your fish and you can easily use another substrate that you can grow plants better on? Or you can play around adding stuff in different ways in case your parameters are not meeting their needs, instead of using it directly as a substrate.

Even if you go for crushed corals, you should be able to monitor and test your water closely to see its effect anyway.

So test kit first. Decisions regarding stuff  that affect parameters as a second step.

Edited by Lennie

Crushed coral has the same texture as Seachem FIourite, which the substrate I have. I also have Ohko stones for hardscape, and one little pokey branch little tree. I wondered the same thing as you, but pictures are worth a thousand words! My snails climb everything. Can't comment on Betta as I've never had one. 

image.jpeg.050a2e759e6d4a2ccf8db039a063d996.jpeg

On 2/18/2023 at 2:15 AM, Lennie said:

What are your water parameters afterall?

I believe you should first test your water parameters and then decide to add anything that will affect it in a way.

Maybe your water already covers the needs of your fish and you can easily use another substrate that you can grow plants better on? Or you can play around adding stuff in different ways in case your parameters are not meeting their needs, instead of using it directly as a substrate.

Even if you go for crushed corals, you should be able to monitor and test your water closely to see its effect anyway.

So test kit first. Decisions regarding stuff  that affect parameters as a second step.

Thank you.  I haven't even purchased anything for this particular aquarium yet, so I don't have specifics on this one.  I just know that I need to add minerals to it.  I will be sure to test before making decisions.  Thank you!