Hello from Seattle !

Hoo

Hello From Seattle ! 

After watching hundreds of hours of videos, I'm ready to start my first tank. I'm hoping to get a frameless ~15gal cube tank. Any ideas for where I can get the best deal? Looks like I'm going to be spending close to $200 after shipping and fees which seems steep. 

Any ideas for where you like to get your tanks? Any help is great !

Thank you,

Hoo

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 7:54 PM, Schuyler said:

Welcome! There are a bunch of us in the Puget Sound area.

The local aquarium club (Greater Seattle Area Aquarium Society aka GSAS) has a page where people sell tanks and stuff. There's also quite a few tanks on OfferUp. It may be tricky finding a rimless though.

Is the gsas worth joining if you're very new to the hobby? I'm worried most of it would go way over my head or I wouldn't get anything out of the events and auctions 

• Like 1

On 2/19/2023 at 1:11 PM, Furbs said:

Is the gsas worth joining if you're very new to the hobby? I'm worried most of it would go way over my head or I wouldn't get anything out of the events and auctions 

I've only been in the hobby since last August. I had the same thought and honestly, the reason I joined was to get the discount from local stores.

But, since then it's been a lot more helpful than I expected. The auction in November was really fun because it was a chance to see a bunch of fish and plants in one place. I've also been able to use the email to ask questions specific to our area. The last thing I asked about was doing outdoor tubs and it turned out that the club had someone give a talk last year about them and I was able to watch that online in their archive.

I don't go to the meetings other than special events because realistically a ~1 hour drive to Queen Anne and back on a weeknight just isn't realistic (and that's if no one crashes on I-5).

To be it's been worth it for the discounts alone. That's probably covered the price of membership on it's own. Throw in all the other stuff and I think it's totally worth it. Especially if you're actually from Seattle, Seattle and not just saying "Seattle" because it's the closets real city people know about like a lot of people do.

If you go to the big auction in April you could get some plants for really cheap.