Albino Platies, do they exist?

Theplatymaster

Im wondering if anyone here has seen Albino Platies.

Q: Why? dont you like the colors in platies

A: i love colorful platies, but i would want albinos for breeding purposes. I have multiple color varieties in my platies i like, but only have males, or only females, and with the albino gene being rececive, it would help with some out breeding of strains.

Idk about platies but, I have a question:

Albinos either have a poor vision or they are blind. Right?

Why do fishkeepers keep breeding albinos then? Is it ethical to keep breeding a very recessive gene that cause quality of life issues intentionally?

On 2/15/2023 at 12:17 AM, Theplatymaster said:

sometimes albinos have genetic defects, however something like an albino platy, or bristlenose pleco that has been perfected doesnt have vision issues.

how so? I could not see anything scientific online regarding to these specifically, but many against it in general both for fish and animals. I feel like they will be sensitive to light and have vision impairments anyway, even it is not in blindness level. 

@Biotope Biologist Do you have any idea if albino fish don't suffer vision impairments/not sensitive to light?

Edited by Lennie

Albinos completely lack pigment. Which is why their eyes are often pink/grey/red. They are sensitive to light and in humans have been known to have various eye problems. 

Leucistic animals have partial loss of pigmentation usually being localized to the skin, feathers, or scales. But their eyes retain pigmentation and usually don’t have the associated eye problems.

I don’t really care to get into the ethics of breeding as a whole it’s a rather deep and complicated rabbit hole.

Also to answer OP’s question I have never seen an albino platy. I have seen koi platies and variants that are white. But never ones that completely lack pigment. Not that it hasn’t been done, I’m sure it has.

Edited by Biotope Biologist
  • Like 1

I think next time i go to my LFS i will ask them if they've ever seen this fish on their wholesale list, if they find it, they probably wont special order it for me, but it will give me conformation that what im looking for exists. (the guys at my LFS know me pretty well, they probably wont mind checking/making a note if they see it).

Edited by Theplatymaster