Congo Puffer

EleanorM

This is a 3 parter I guess?  and my first post here!

Quick background:

A friend is moving to a new apartment that does not allow aquariums.  She has offered me her Congo Puffer at a very reasonable price.

My apartment allows aquariums less than 10 gallons, so I have a few Fluval Flex 9 gallon and Spec set ups.

Tank 1: (CPD)

B16A7217-B7D8-4FBE-8E92-FA8C1EF60315.jpeg.03c6ffe2618548f355cf7a6ca454a28a.jpeg

Tank 2: Ember Tetras:
7125B1C6-6134-4E21-928C-B96EA90A90E5.jpeg.70c230058f6b549c0040a98f898e259f.jpeg

Tank 3: mostly irrelevant, Blue Diamond/lShrimp & Mosquito Rasboras
2FB83282-ECB5-46ED-8109-9AD9C04ED353.jpeg.91f21a7a6aa794c6ec7beb114a9172fe.jpeg

the first 2 above are 9 gallons, the third is a 5.

Question 1). The spotted Congo Puffer is presently in 15.5 gallon, is a 9 gallon flex sufficient space?

Question 2) the 9 gallon aquariums presently have in  (1) 12+ CPD and 20+ Bloody Mary Shrimp, a nerite snail, and pond snails. In (2) there are 12+ ember tetra, I have no idea how many Amano shrimp a nerite snail and pond snails. Will the Congo Puffer be happy in either / be unlikely to mass murder the current inhabitants?

Question 3) Due to time constraints, I can buy/ set up a new Flex but I will not have time to cycle it normally.  If I use a bunch of the plant substrate from the established tanks and poach rock, filter media, and plants from the existing set ups, would I be mostly safe to do a fish-in cycle?  I’ve never attempted one before.

Thanks I’m advance,

-Eleanor

It is a spotted Congo (Tetraodon Schoutedeni)  it is supposed to max out at about 2-3 inches she said.  Thanks for the clarifying questions!  I hope this is enough more to get additional insight.

I can ask her to send a photo maybe if that’s helpful?

Edited by EleanorM
Additional clarification

On 2/13/2023 at 9:19 PM, EleanorM said:

It is a spotted Congo (Tetraodon Schoutedeni)  it is supposed to max out at about 2-3 inches she said.  Thanks for the clarifying questions!  I hope this is enough more to get additional insight.

I can ask her to send a photo maybe if that’s helpful?

I haven't kept them! But when I spoke to a fish store in Dallas they said they wouldn't keep it in anything less than 20 gallons and would prefer a bit larger. That's all I know on this subject, but i figured I would still offer this info!

• Like 1