Hello from the Jersey Shore

Lilred

I just wanted to stop by and say hello before I start posting my many questions I have lol. I had a saltwater tank for over 15 years,  but decided to break it down about 5 years ago. Since then I have not had any tanks. I decided recently that I would like to have a small freshwater tank with plants. I love plants. I have over 75 indoor plants, and even have an indoor greenhouse cabinet I set up.  This room is where I set up my new 20 gallon long tank. I started it in October with guppies. I love these little colorful fish! I started out with small pebbles taken from my outdoor pond as a substrate. This did not work well because it was too hard to clean. Yesterday I replaced all the small pebbles with Caribe Sea Eco complete. I plan to start adding some plants soon. I did a google search for plants, which led me to this site, and watching many Youtube videos on aquarium plants. I just want some easy low-medium light plants. I think the tank will be a nice addition to this room, along with the fact that I can use my old discarded fish water to water some of my house plants. A win win for me 🙂 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 2/13/2023 at 4:10 PM, John Henry said:

Hello, @Lilred, happy to have you on the forum.  Plenty of plant information to glean here.  Since your using Eco Complete don't forget to add fertilizer.

I plan to add pellets and liquid fertilize How often would you suggest I add both ? 

Root tabs are generally good for a couple of months, liquid fertilizer is usually dosed once or twice a week depending on the type  and density of your plants.  

On 2/12/2023 at 11:14 AM, Lilred said:

I plan to start adding some plants soon

Get your tank planted,  post a photo and folks will be happy to advise you from there.

• 2 weeks later...